We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month for whale watching?

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Best month for whale watching?

We're wide open for planning a summer 2008 trip to the Boston area. We particularly want to see humpbacks in the Stellwagen area. Does anyone have any thoughts on the optimal time for whale sightings?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,053 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
461 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,034 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month for whale watching?

May and June are traditionally good months, but it varies from year to year, so you just never know.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,034 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month for whale watching?

oops ... I hit 'post' too soon.

I suggest you visit some of the whale watching sites. I've been on several trips out of Provincetown adn have always seen whales, but never Humpbacks.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month for whale watching?

All the whale watch boats out of Gloucester, Boston, Plymouth and Provincetown go to Stellwagen. All the boats are equipped with all sorts of electronics to help them find whales for you. The best time is when the water has had a bit of time to warm up, i.e. mid-summer. The best years to see the most whales are those when their favorite food, the sand eel, is having a good year. But ultimately, specie and numbers are a matter of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month for whale watching?

I can only add that we took a whale watch out of Provincetown, Mass last August on a nice, still, overcast (even rainy) day. We saw many many many whales and were very happy. I don't know the scientific answer to your question, but would say you might want to consider taking your trip out of Provincetown -- I think it's kind of whale watch central. But you can get trips out of Boston and also somewhere else on Cape Cod . . .

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month for whale watching?

MaxieLu, read tcant's post: all whale watches end up at Stellwagen bank, regardless of whether you leave from Provincetown, Boston, or Gloucester.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Westside
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month for whale watching?

How do the trips work?? Do you just turn up in Provincetown early and find your way to the ??Port area, or is this something that you book ahead.

I have no idea about prices, can somebody give me an average recent figure - might be last year, but it is a guide,

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Dublin
Level Contributor
803 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month for whale watching?

Hi, we went whale watching last july and we seen loads, a very enjoyable experience;

…viator.com/brochure/product_show.jsp…

try here this is the company we used.....enjoy

8. Re: Best month for whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 23:19