We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston -> Maine

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
10 posts
Save Topic
Boston -> Maine

Hello . . .I am flying in to Boston the end of July and plan on staying a couple of nights there before we rent a car and begin our east coast sightseeing journey that will end in Belfast, Maine. I am looking for suggestions on which cities I should stop in to spend the day/night? Any hotel suggestions?? Any suggestions for outdoor adventure alone this part of the eastern coast? If you can think of any fun pubs/bars please list them, as well :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston -> Maine

First, I would recommend you NOT get the rental car until it'as time to leave Boston. Parking and driving in town is a hassle, and the subway system is really good (though it shuts down earlier than MARTA)

Next, and most important... Don't even THINK about getting that close to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park without going the extra few miles!

Towns where you might stop along the way depend on what you're interested in...

Almost immediately after crossing the bridge into Maine from New Hampshire, there is Kittery. Unless you're into outlet malls, there is no reason to stop there.

After Kittery, Rte 1 becomes more scenic, and you'll pass through "the Yorks", Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. Personally, Ogunquit is my favorite of these, but would be a little early in the trip to spend the night unless you've got the time to spare, and want to spend the afternoon at the beach and have a good dinner afterward. I might recommend it as a good "lunch" stop.

Further up, another "shopping" mecca is Freeport, but MUCH nicer. The village itself is quaint and scenic, the shops are more upscale, and it's the home of LL Bean (open 24/7). This could be nice overnight stop... there are plenty of B & Bs, though the names escape me. If I had to draw a parallel to a town in Georgia, it would be Decatur.

The next town I have stayed in is Boothbay Harbor. This is a "postcard" town and though a lot less commercial, has plenty of lodging options.

But above all, Bar Harbor and Acadia are MUST SEES!

I would recommend printing a list of B&Bs and calling each evening to assure a room for the next night. I've never had a problem doing it this way, and most will be happy to recommend a "competitor" if they're full... sometimes even going the extra mile to make the reservation for you.

Sorry I can't be more help with the libation part of your query, but with the exceptions of Ogunquit and Bar Harbor, where you will have no problem finding a suitable place to imbibe, these towns are pretty small...

Atlanta
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston -> Maine

I really appreciate your advice!!

Atlanta
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston -> Maine

Oh, and we are heading to Acadia to hike/camp - that is part of the itinerary

dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston -> Maine

I was happy to find this post, because I am planning something similar. We thought of staying about 2 days in boston, then going elsewhere for 3 days. Are 5 days enough? ...or perhaps you can suggest a different itinerary from boston. thanks so much.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston -> Maine

Before reaching Maine, you could stop off in Newburyport (MA) and/or Portsmouth (NH), both along I-95. They're both restored old-time seaports with nicely restored areas that are relaxing to walk in.

Good beaches in addition to the ones already cited are Plum Island in Newburyport (a large section of which is a wildlife refuge and birding Mecca), Salisbury (MA), and Hampton (NH.) The latter two are on the honky-tonk end of the spectrum, as is Old Orchard Beach in southern Maine.

You could also make a side trip to Kennebunkport to gawk at the estates on Walker's Point (summer home of the Bush clan) and ride a rebuilt antique streetcar at the Seaside Trolley Museum.

A time frame wasn't mentioned for how long you're allowing for this trip, but if you have a day or two to spare take the ferry to Monhegan Island (no cars allowed) and experience the inn there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston -> Maine

Spunkmom... with such a short visit planned, you ought too post your interests... there is SO MUCH to do around here that it actually warrants your own post...

Are you into stuff like art colonies? If so, look into Rockport and Gloucester. For Antiquing, the towns of Essex, Ipswich, and Rowley are a nice destination, as is the entire stretch of Rte 1A north from those towns, well into Maine.

For lakes and mountains, both Vermont and New Hampshire offer spectacular options, all within a reasonable drive of Boston.

In short, post some details... there is WAY TOO MUCH to offer here to guess!

Atlanta
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston -> Maine

jsboston - Any advice you can offer on Nantucket??

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston -> Maine

Sorry... Nantucket is one of those corners of my own backyard I've never explored! I know Buckhead and Midtown better!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston -> Maine

I have a sweatshirt from the Black Dog that someone brought back for me, but that's as close as I've ever gotten!

I have been informed that The Black Dog was a fun pub, but others have said it's "gone commercial".

Atlanta
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston -> Maine

jsboston - Would you venture to say the subway in Boston is safe or unsafe at night?? Our flight will land in Boston after 11:00 p.m. and i'm wondering if it's okay to take the subway to the hotel or catch a cab.