We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Topic
Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

My family and i will be in boston from June 23 thru 26th. We will be staying outside the city in probably Peabody or maybe Danvers.What hotels would you suggest? What is the closest public transportation into Boston near these cities? Or are there cities closer to Boston that are nearer to public transportation? I would greatly appreciate any help i can get on this as staying in Boston itself seems to be out of our price range which would be about 125 - 150 dollars as night. Thanks for all you help!

Guarddude

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

Just curious why you picked Peabody or Danvers? Do you have relatives living there? I don't believe either is served by commuter rail. Plus commuter rail is not as convenient as staying near a subway line (fixed times of train departures/arrivals).

Try to find a hotel on the subway line (MBTA Red or Orange lines). Thus you can have the most flexibility of getting into town. Possible towns you could stay for Red line (Braintree or Quincy), someone in another post recommended the Hyatt Place on the Orange line in Medford (see post below).

Search this forum with words:

Budget hotels subway

There have been several good posts lately discussing this.

Also BeantownMan a local expert has this to recommend in a recent post:

The Holiday Inn Express on Boston St. in South Boston/Dorchester, is a very nice, fairly new motel, which gets excellent ratings here on TA, and also from my dad and friends of mine who have stayed there. It's only a 5 minute walk from Andrew Sq. Red Line station, and it includes a free breakfast and free parking.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com

/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/boshj?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/ex/1/en/hotelsearchresults

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

I picked Peabody and Danvers as they seemed to have a good selection of hotels to choose from. Not being from the area i thought i could drive to a commuter rail line or "t" stop. I will look into the posts that you suggested and stay near a "T" line. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Guarddude

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

Ok. I see. The only problem with driving to a T stop or commuter rail stop is that during the week these parking lots fill up with commuters cars early (like 7AM) so it can be difficult to park.

Just one warning that the budget hotels are often basic and may be near highways, shopping strip malls etc. (not as desirable location as staying at a trendy hotel in downtown). The savings though at these budget hotels will make it worth it if you can spend the money on activites, meals etc. just be sure that your expectations match the place you stay.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

You might try the Quincy Marriott, which is on the south shore. It's a nice-enough hotel (a newer Marriott) with a free shuttle to the Red Line.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

Hi,

One thing you should be aware of, regarding the T, is that the Commuter Rail is just that...for commuters. During the midday period, weekends and evenings, trains can run as little as once in two hours. If you stay near a subway line, like the Red Line, it's much more convenient. Also, both Peabody and Danvers are about 25 miles from Boston and will take 30 minutes to drive in, assuming there's no traffic, or 40 minutes on the train.

As Sedum helpfully pointed out, I've been recommending a Holiday Inn near Andrew Sq, which is in your price range, around $115/night, including breakfast. It's not a pretty area, but you are only there to sleep after all, and it's really convenient to get into Boston.

6. Re: Peabody Hotels - Close to public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 10:21