We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Boston

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Boston

Just wondering what Im in for. How bad is it to drive in Boston?

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Boston

Just my opinion but... as someone who has driven frequently in both places, it's worse than driving in NYC. Both have awful parking, confusing one-way streets, people walking out into the middle of the street, and congestion... but least New York is laid out on a grid, whereas Boston is not. If you take on wrong turn in Manhattan, you can generally find your way back if you know what direction you're pointing... in Boston it's a little harder. That said however, you don't have to contend with insane taxi drivers like you do in NY.

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Boston

Haha. Hopefully mapquest gets me there without incident.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,805 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Boston

Mapquest a compass and bottle of wine.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Boston

It's actually pretty easy. The Mass Pike (90) goes right into the city. Where did you want to end up??

AlanM

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Boston

Im hoping to end up on Devonshire st.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Boston

Im hoping to end up on Devonshire st.

This starts at The Old State House. If you come up State you will come to a set of lights. A hard left will put you on Congress. Pass this and before the Old State House is Devonshire. The numbers should start at this end. I believe there is nowhere to park on this street.

I think driving in Boston is easy. This area is the most confusing for first timers.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Boston

MapQuest will only increase your chances of getting hoeplessly and completely frustrated and lost. If you feel you must drive into the city find a good place to park the car and take advantage of the easy to use T.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Boston

The time of day can have a whole lot to do with the experience. You'll probably find it a lot easier to handle sometime between 10 AM nd 2 PM

Boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Boston

Just close your eyes and hit the gas.

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Boston

Yeah I'm staying at a hotel on devonshire (club quarters) and I heard theirs parking on the road behind. I'm used to NY but I know from maps its nothing like that. Feel free to chime in on tips. Ill have a gps with me so that should help. And yeah once we get there were keping the car in the parking garage and just taking the T.

Sooo.... from the looks of the map it seems that devonshire is right by mass. Turnpike.