We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

California
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

We're going to Boston in August just for a few days. We are going to a Red Sox game, but really have no idea what else to do, or where to stay. My husband and I are traveling with my (then) 13 year old son. He has a baseball tournament in Cooperstown, and we are driving from there to Boston. Good/bad idea? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

The drive from Cooperstown is fine. You should go thru the posts, your question often pops up.

You can stay right in Boston and pay the prices and also for parking. You can look in Brookline which is only about a mile from Fenway. There is public transportation from Brookline to Boston and close to Fenway. The hotel prices here will be better than Boston.

Cambridge is across the river and another place to look.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

Cooperstown is about a four hour drive from Boston. I've done it a couple times. Well, technically I was going somewhere near Cooperstown, but yeah, it's around 4 hours.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

A stellar idea! Your biggest problem will be so many choices -- what to do. My 13-year-old loves Fenway, so that's a winner.. the Museum of Science is great, whale watches are fantastic, and the Freedom Trail is a great way to tour the city on foot. Getting a hotel near public transport will be a great way to leave your car behind and just enjoy. The "T" http://mbta.com is pretty handy around town -- and can get you access to the city from less expensive hotels in the near suburbs.

Have fun,

LMM

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

Hi, you can do lots of fun things with a 13 yr.old in Boston. Not sure of your budget, but a Duck Tour is a lot of fun. The Aquarium is also a great place to visit. You can take public transporation to Columbia Point and visit the Kennedy Library. If you have a car, one alternative to staying right in the city is to look for hotels in the Needham, Newton, Waltham area and use public transportation from there to visit Boston proper The website is www.mbta.com. For inexpensive entertainment, take the "T" to Harvard Square, and just walk around. You can visit the campus, shops, museums and some good places to eat.

With a car, spend some time in Concord and visit the Minute Man Historical Park - here is a link: http://www.nps.gov/mima/ Not too far from the outer perimeter of the city

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

No one has mentioned but you may also want to do the tour of Fenway park where they give you a little history etc. of the park. If you are going to a game it still may be worth the tour. So many things in Boston for a 13 year old. Lots of good ideas in the posts above. I would say only that I think the Aquarium may be enjoyable more for younger kids (10 yrs and younger) unless you consider the IMAX theater at the Aquarium or like the seal show he may be bored with the Aquarium part. The USS Constitution and museum is also great to visit and you can take a boat from the Aquarium to the pier

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

While the seal show has been gone for years, the Aquarium is still a good take for anybody. The Freedom Trail, and especially the tour of Old Ironsides, is perfect for a teenager. They will have studied some US history (at least a little) and this will bring it to life.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

Alam:

Where is the next closest aquarium which offers a seal show. Mystic?

Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

Sorry about the typo on your name

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

If you're interested, a day trip out to the Boston Harbor Islands is also fun. Georges Island, the hub of the chain, has service daily from Long Wharf and the 45 min. trip each way is a blast. The island has a Civil-War era fort that's fun to explore and it's the only island that has snack services. Or, bring a picnic and enjoy the shaded area with tables with an amazing view of the city skyline. From here you can also take smaller shuttle boats to the other islands.

And speaking of harbor shuttles, if you like ships and military history, take the Harbor Express boat to Quincy and tour the USS Salem in permanent dock at the Fore River.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: We're going to Boston for the first time..NEED HELP! PLZ

I believe it's the closest. And I've been called worse.......