We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

working fire houses

ireland
Level Contributor
454 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
working fire houses

hi i will be visiting boston in july and was wondering if anyone could tell me the location of any working fire houses in boston. We are staying in jurys and as i have this unusual hobby of photographing fire engines from around the world i was hoping to come across some fire houses when we are out and about

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: working fire houses

There's one on purchase street, across the greenery from the Intercontinental hotel. addr: 125 purchase street on the edge of the financial district. It's definitely working.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: working fire houses

Interesting hobby! On the City of Boston official gov't web site there is a list of all the firehouses in the city:

www.cityofboston.gov/fire/locations.asp

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: working fire houses

There is a nice station on Hanover St. in the North End past St. Leonards Church. The guys in there are quite friendly, and they usually have the doors wide open when its nice out, its real easy to find in a great neighborhood you'll want to walk through anyway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: working fire houses

There is one on Boyslton up by Mass. Ave. I have been told they will give you a tour if not busy. Go during the day, at night they get busy with many false alarms.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: working fire houses

There's a fire museum near the Children's museum. It has very limited hours, but you might find an antique Boston truck there ... I think there was one last time we peeked in the window ... never have been there when it's opened, so I really can't tell you much, but if you are interested, it might be worth a phone call.

http://www.bostonfiremuseum.com/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: working fire houses

Forgotmypword:

Thanks for the post, I never heard of the "Boston Fire Museum" that sounds like a great place to bring my kids when it reopens. This is why I love TA, you do not only learn about great places to travel to, but you learn more about new places to go in your own local area.

Remay28

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: working fire houses

On a nice day, the guys at the Boylston ST station often sit out front and watch the crowds go by if it's not busy. Friendly bunch.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: working fire houses

While no longer a working firehouse, the building itself is worth seeing. Located on the flat of Beacon Hill, it's sandwiched in near the corner of Mount Vernon Street and Charles Street across from the 7-11. This was the location where the Real World Boston was filmed. (Dubious distinction, I know)Nonetheless, the building is cool.

You can also chug up to the BFD location on Cambridge Street at the corner of South Russell. The doors are thrown open almost all the time - weather permitting - and they guys are very nice. There's also a darned good pizza joint right next door. Major plus!

9. Re: working fire houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 02:17