We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather late September/early October

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
514 reviews
Save Topic
Weather late September/early October

I know I can look at the temperatures on weather.com, but I would rather hear from those who have been- what is the weather like at this time? Warm, cold, wet, dry, shorts, jeans?

We are thinking of a 3 week flydrive to Boston and surrounding areas, and would be grateful for any comments on the weather.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather late September/early October

Generally, autumn is the best time of year for weather here. It should be mainly sunny with temperatures in the 50s (F) at night and 60s and 70s during the day, maybe warmer. Shorts may be ok during the day but plan on jeans at night.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather late September/early October

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Great to find out from someone who knows.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather late September/early October

The truth is we don't have a clue. All we can tell you are what the averages are for a particular time of year. On any particular day, it could be any of the possibilities you asked about... or even ALL of them. Just be prepared for any or all possibilities. The good news is that it is highly unlikely to snow at that time of year.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather late September/early October

Usually the weather here late Sept/early Oct is very pleasant. 50-70 F range. But, you never know for sure. We could get some freak hot weather. One thing you can be pretty sure of is that it won't snow or go below freezing.

As far as rain, there is no way to tell.

That time of year, you may want to wear shorts, but I would lean toward jeans as it is unlikely that it will be so warm that you really feel compelled to wear shorts. But, throw a pair or two in when you pack.

I don't know how old you are, but we see college-age kids wearing shorts around here in the dead of winter, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather late September/early October

Yes I agree about the snow. About the earliest we've ever had snow is around Veteran's Day (Nov 11th) so at least you won't have to worry about that! Do bring layers so you are ready for any weather situation.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,589 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather late September/early October

"In Boston, the earliest recorded trace of snow came on October 2nd, 1899. The earliest measurable snowfall fell on October 10th, 1979, when 0.2 inches (0.5 cm) surprised even the meteorologists. In 1913, a grand total of 0.4 inches (1.0 cm) fell during the month of October, giving that year the title of snowiest October. However, for those less enthusiastic about the impending return to winter, you can take heart in the fact that the average date for the first trace of snow in Boston is not until Nov. 4. Moreover, the first 0.5 inch (1.3 cm) or greater snowfall does not arrive, on average, until Dec. 5. Back in 1973, Bostonians waited until Dec. 16 before the first flakes ever fell."

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather late September/early October

You have picked,hands down the best time of the year to visit. Sure you can get a litlle of everything ,but generally the temps are nice during the day 60's and cooling off at nite.

8. Re: Weather late September/early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 19:18