We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Hey!

My wife majored in viola performance in college and loves symphonies, orchestras and pop orchestras. We just recently moved to the Boston area. I wanted to get her tickets for her birthday but I wasn't sure what would be the best option in Boston. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Casey

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Welcome to Boston!

I would say your first move would be to consult the website for the Boston Symphony. http://www.bso.org. You can see the BSO schedule as well as a link for the Boston Pops.

Check the Boston Globe Calendar section on Thursdays and see what Classical-oriented concerts are performing. The Boston Early Music Festival usually happens at around this time, and don't discount some of the concerts happening at historic churches in the city, especially at Trinity Church and The Arlington Street Church.

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Thanks! I'll start at BSO. Anyone else have other ideas as well?

Casey

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Hi,

Locally, my favorite is the Boston Classical Orchestra, which performs at Faneuil Hall, and has top notch musicians (many of them from the BSO). In fact, their next concert is coming up the weekend of March 30th. They also have a lecture series that goes on just before the performances, and it's quite interesting if you are into that.

http://www.bostonclassicalorchestra.com

I also enjoy the Handel and Haydn Society, which is obviously more of a baroque group:

http://www.handelandhaydn.org/

Of course, seeing the BSO at Symphony Hall is the "Ne Plus Ultra" of Boston classical music, and the Pops of course are wonderful.

However, BSO/Pops concerts are very expensive, tickets for good seats can be difficult to get, and the BSO tends to schedule new music in the middle of two classic pieces. Maybe I'm showing my lack of "culcha", but the newer classical pieces usually leave me cold.

My dad, who subscribes to the New York Philharmonic, says that they schedule the "world premier" pieces in the middle of the bill, so that people can't walk out so easily.

There are also many, many other groups that perform Classical music around here. There are also a couple of wonderful, lesser-known performance spaces which are wonderful to see concerts. Jordan Hall at the New England Conservatory was designed by the same architect that did Carnegie Hall in NYC. In fact, Handel and Haydn has a concert there at the end of this month as well, so check that out.

Sanders Theatre at Harvard is a great setting for concerts as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Thank you! That was very helpful as well. I think I'm going to start looking at the BSO first since it seems to be THE symphony orchestra for Boston. I noticed on their website they had few shows coming up which included vocalists which would be fun.

I think I've got a lot of good information now. I appreciate you help.

Casey

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

About the BSO: the orchestra season (serious music) ends soon, and sometime in April you have "Pops" for a month or two at Symphony Hall (light classics, show tunes, movie music, what have you.) In July the full orchestra reassembles at Tanglewood, in Lenox, for July and August. Then they're back at Symphony Hall in September.

Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

Thanks. I'll keep that information in mind. :)

7. Re: Symphony\Orchestra\Pops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 22:20