We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trip

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Side Trip

Hello Boston! I was wondering if you had an opportunity to do only one "side trip" which one would it be? We won't have a car so anything we plan needs to be accessible by some other method of transportation. I've looked at going to Salem and it sounds interesting, but I thought why not open it up to the experts and get y'alls opinion. To give you a little more "to go on" I should tell you that my husband and I love history, scenic beauty, water views, & interesting architecture. We are fun-loving people with a good sense of humor and love to laugh and have a good time. As always thanks in advance for your input!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trip

Rockport, a little fishing village turned artist colony, is one of my favorites. And I think it's got the history, beauty, water views, and interesting architecture you crave, as well as lots of little shops.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trip

As an alternative to Salem, I'd take the train to Concord, MA Center. You can walk to visitor center and the historic center area. The Concord Museum is right in the center. A new thing to do is take a history bike tour around Concord. It got quite a good writeup in the Boston Globe newspaper last fall. Looks kind of fun:

http://concordbiketours.com/

There are also walking tours from Concord center or you can walk to some sites in Concord outside the city center on your own.

Globe article (may require free registration):

boston.com/news/…

Salem, Concord, Rockport are all good 1 day tours. Depends on what you want to do. I would add that Rockport has a lot of art galleries, quaint shops, views of the ocean. I don't know how much history there is (unless you could take a cab to Halibut State Park which is a historical quarry site and nature trail)

May be have a few things researched and see how the weather is. Salem may have more indoor things to do. If it is cold or rainy, Rockport wouldn't be my first choice as it would be cold on the ocean.

Just some thoughts...

Texas
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trip

AlanM & Sedum37, thanks for your suggestions. They are all good ones and each one has something to offer that we'd enjoy seeing/doing. I guess I'll continue to research all the options you mentioned and then make a decision from there. (We might have to do the 'ol eenie, meenie, minee, mo thing! LOL!) Regardless of what we choose, I have no doubt it will be a memorable experience. I truly appreciate your input!!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side Trip

Hi,

I'd say Salem. It's an easy trip via the commuter rail, and it has everything you asked for...history, beautiful old architecture, water views, and the Bewitched statue :)

If you do a forum search for discussions on "Salem", you will find lots of information.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side Trip

BeantownMan, Salem is definitely "high on my list" of options for all the reasons you've mentioned. I've looked into "organized" tours, but it seems to me with the affordable commuter train it is a lot more economical to make it a "do it yourself" tour. Plus we wouldn't be locked into a tour operator's time table and can see whatever we want to see and stay as long as we want. I think we could definitely fill a day in Salem! Thanks for your advice and input! I can't imagine ever planning a trip and just 'winging it' (like my brother always does!) LOL

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Side Trip

My vote goes to the Cape Cod Excursion day trip. For $50 per person, you leave Boston via coach for the Cape. Travel over the Sagamore Bridge with beautiful views of the Cape Cod Canal below, then it's off to Hyannisport to visit the Kennedy Compound. After that they allow the folks time to seek out somewhere to eat[the only thing not included in price], then you board the boat for a 45 minute inner harbor cruise where you get to see the compound from the water. That's a heck of a deal! No wonder it revieved 5 star reviews. Tour season begins June 3rd. More info at tourcorp.com

Texas
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side Trip

Thanks Will007 for the information on the Cape Cod Excursion Trip. I will check out the website and let you know what I think. I've always been interested in seeing Hyannisport. Whose not fascinated with the Kennedy's? LOL!!

boston
Level Contributor
85 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side Trip

What about Quincy? The subway or the water shuttle takes you right there! Quincy is the birthplace of 3 presidents, has great architecture to look at, and has a trolley that goes to all the National Park sites in the city of Quincy.

The Cape fo $50 sounds like a good deal too, but you'd been spending a lot of time on the bus where as Quincy would be less travel time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Side Trip

My vote goes to the Cape Cod Excursion day trip. For $50 per person, you leave Boston via coach for the Cape. Travel over the Sagamore Bridge with beautiful views of the Cape Cod Canal below, then it's off to Hyannisport to visit the

Where in Boston does this leave from and how do I sign up? Letting someone else do the driving is always appealing.

I see why Quincy was suggested. You are a history buff. If you have any interest in The Adams, this is a good idea.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side Trip

Hey Teacher91,

I can't remember when you said you'd be here, but I too vote Salem ... and if the site-seeing trolley is running then you can make your way to 'Salem Willows'. It's not what it was in its "heyday" but there's a couple of arcades with OLD arcade cames (the 5-cent movie flipping thing, a strength test, a 25-cent 'foot massage'. There's also a lovely walking area over looking the water, and a few take out restaruants w/ pizza, fried clams, etc.

AND ... imho, HOBB'S ... the BEST popcorn on earth. It's cooked in a huge, old-fashiond, gas-fired popper. And don't forget to sample their carmel corn and various flavors of popcorn bars. There's even an antique carousel.

http://www.salemweb.com/willows/