We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nor California
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Topic
Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Just started planning a four day trip to the East Coast. There are 12 of us going. We plan to take the red eye into Boston on May 1st. Tour around Boston during the day and hit the Sox game that night. The next day (Friday) we would like to go to Cooperstown. Maybe spend five to six hours there. At the present time we have planned to rent three cars (maybe two mini vans)with Hertz at the hotel but the cost without gas is $1000 plus. This would be a two day rental with a drop off in White Plains NY (Saturday morning). From there we will take the train into NYC. Does anyone know of a limo company that maybe able to transport the 12 of us easier? Thinking maybe they could pick us up and take us to Cooperstown and drop us off in White Plains Friday night. We will then catch the train in Saturday Morning. Any other thoughts on how to do it would be appreciated. Thanks

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

That is probably the most agressive baseball trip i've heard of for 4 days....

Is there a reason you are going to NYC? (if you are only going to be on the East Coast for 4 days total...?) Any chance you can just rent the car in Boston...spend the night in Cooperstown (not that I'd usually recommend that) and then just head back to Boston to spend a little more time there?

I think the reason your rental car rate is so high, is that you are renting 1 way (town to town) vs city to city, or even round trip.

Or you could save a @#$%-load of money and just stay in Boston for the 4 days.....there's enough to do!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Since you're in the planning stages....

Any chance you could fly into NYC, take the car up to Cooperstown that Thursday night and spend the night. Friday morning head to Boston, drop off the car (or keep it [knowing parking can be $$$$])...go to the Sox game and spend the night. Saturday morning take the train, bus, or rental car (if you keep it) and head to NYC for the rest of your time and flight out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

I agree with milemarker, this one has me scratching my head! Pscsb, I just don't know what to say since Cooperstown is a 4 hour drive from Boston and about 3 from NYC. Renting a couple minivans may be your only option. I did a quick check and 2 minivans with all the insurance and such is $389 per van minus fuel. You did say 12 of you would be going so splitting the costs amongst the adults shouldn't make it all that bad. You should call a limo company for the hell of it, just so you could hear them say, " Boston to Cooperstown to White Plains?", LOL. The tip alone for the poor guy who had to drive that roundtripper should be HUGE! It's a very ambitious plan and I commend you for it. Good luck and have fun on your trip.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Your trip sounds fantastic to any baseball fan.

Here is link to a company that specializes in Sports Road Trips (Never used it - but your post was intriguing enough to do a search) "Roadtrips"

www.roadtrips.com/…

http://www.roadtrips.com/?dest=beho

Here are a few more links to van and limo services. I have no idea of what they offer and probably VERY Expensive but it may be a good start.

Good Luck!

bostonchauffeur.com/citytocityLimoTransfers.…

www.bostonlimousine.com/inside_vans.htm

https:/…fleet.jsp

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Have you gotten your Sox tickets yet? If your not aware, it is almost impossible to buy tickets right now without going through a ticket broker or scalper. With 12 of you going you may want to look into getting tickets off of Stubhub or somewhere prior to going.

Nor California
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Thank you for all the information. More background information. We already have the plane tickets. In on May 1st (Boston) out on May 4 (NY). Game in Boston on May 1 and afternoon game on May 4 (Yankees). Will check with the limo/bus companies in the am. Thinking even $1500 won't be bad based on the hassle factor of three cars or 2 mini vans. Picking them up and dropping them off. Much more relaxing if someone else is doing the driving. Thanks again for the help. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

Since you have tickets already... Maybe you can check out what chartered flights from Boston to Cooperstown to NYC would be. The driving will tire you and it won't be comfortable in two mini vans.

8. Re: Baseball=Boston, Cooperstown+ NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 18:20