We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I Missed Anything????

Texas
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Have I Missed Anything????

As you know by now if you've been reading my post I'm a planner. Any suggestions on "must dos" or "sees" that I've missed. Thanks Boston! You're AWESOME!

Thursday - Arrive about 8:00. Check into Charlesmark Hotel. Late dinner, dessert, or snack @ Top of the Hub

Friday - Early morning walk through Public Garden and Boston Common, Heart of the Freedom Trail tour, lunch @ Durgin Park, North End tour, back to the hotel, dinner & Sox game 7:05.

Saturday - Tour of USS Constitution, check out Constitution Museum & Bunker Hill Monument, walk around area. Lunch in the North End. Tour Paul Revere's House and Old North Church. Possible walking tour of Beacon Hill. I would also like to walk around the Granary.

If we can get tickets we'd like to see The Blue Man Group. Dinner ... but where?

Sunday - Up early and off to Salem on the commuter train. We'd like to see the Peabody Essex Museum, House of Seven Gables, The Friendship, possibly the Witch House (Judge Corwin's house), and whatever else we can squeeze in! Depending on what time we get back to Boston maybe a Sunset Harbor Cruise???

Monday - Whatever else we didn't work in earlier. Perhaps a walk around Harvard? Or if we don't get to do the Sunset Cruise on Sunday night we could do it on this evening. I'm open here. Any suggestions? By now you know we love history, architecture, scenic beauty, interesting facts & trivia, etc.al.

Tuesday - Our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 so there is some time here to do something as well. At some point we'd like to pick up a few momentos.

Thanks for reading and any info/suggestions you might offer!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Charlesmark Hotel
Charlesmark Hotel
986 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,227 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston Common
Boston Common
5,487 Reviews
Boston, MA
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,413 Reviews
Boston, MA
Durgin Park
Durgin Park
1,055 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,272 Reviews
Boston, MA
USS Constitution
USS Constitution
1,359 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bunker Hill Monument
Bunker Hill Monument
1,313 Reviews
Boston, MA
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,097 Reviews
Boston, MA
Blue Man Group
Blue Man Group
504 Reviews
Boston, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody Essex Museum
Peabody Essex Museum
1,768 Reviews
Salem, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

It looks like a well planned out trip.

From reading your many posts, I believe you would enjoy a Duck Tour. I know you had an interest and I think you would really enjoy it. Yes, the historical facts aren't always correct but you would get all that info from your walking tours. Don't forget the "lobstah roll"!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Just another suggestion, why not try to take the ferry instead of the commuter rail since you will be here in June?

http://www.salemferry.com/schedule.shtml

Texas
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Thanks Remay! Oh yeah, the ferry to Salem. I had thought of that earlier. That could be a fun way to travel. Is it scenic along the way? Thanks for reminding me. :-)

A lobster roll is definitely on my "wish list of eats" along with Indian pudding, clam chowder, fried belly clams, a cannoli, Italian at the North End, oysters for hubby, lobster, etc. al!!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
North End
North End
6,272 Reviews
Boston, MA
boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

TIP: never pay full price for the Blue Man group, buy your tickets the day of the show at Artx Tix, there is a concession @ fanueil hall and one over near the Pru... they always have tickets for events...

Mentioned in this post
Blue Man Group
Blue Man Group
504 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,454 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Fabulous itinerary planned out. I do recommend you take a walk in to the Boston Public Library built in 1895 (McKim Building) (there is also the 'newer' part- Johnson Building). They often have special exhibits of note and a hidden oasis, a lovely courtyard. http://www.bpl.org/guides/index.htm. Across the street is the beautiful Trinity Church.

Also, if the weather is nice fitting in a stroll down Newbury Street just for some more Boston ambiance would be a good plan.

As far as dinner before Blue Man Group, you have a myriad of choices in Copley Square, Park Square, or Chinatown area.

p.s. If you are in fact a teacher, you may be eligible for some discounts at museums, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Public Library
Boston Public Library
3,327 Reviews
Boston, MA
Trinity Church
Trinity Church
823 Reviews
Boston, MA
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,162 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Blue Man Group
Blue Man Group
504 Reviews
Boston, MA
Copley Square
Copley Square
653 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Hi teacher,

No Museum of Fine Arts or Isabella Gardner Museum? You might consider there on your Mon. or Tues. They are basically right next door to each other.

Bunker Hill: Will you be climbing the 294 steps to the top? Great view of the skyline up there.

Since you'll be around the North End a bit, try to eat at Neptune Oyster, yummy!

Something tells me your camera will be getting a good workout this trip!

Mentioned in this post
Museum of Fine Arts
Museum of Fine Arts
7,178 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
147 Reviews
Boston, MA
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,707 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Awesome planning!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,138 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Great itinery. I too was thinking Ferry to Salem and then you won't need a sunset cruise of the harbor.

And I haven't forgotten that I owe you the location of the "This Old House" house in Charlestown, not far from the Bunker Hill Monument.

There's a trolly tour in Salem too.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
147 Reviews
Boston, MA
Texas
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Bostonlady, Love the idea of discount tickets. Plus it will be nice not to have to schedule it in advance. We'll just go when the tickets are available and we can fit it into our itinerary. Mahj, Great recommendation about the library! If I’m not mistaken The Charlesmark Hotel is nearby isn’t it? Perhaps since we will be in Boston on Sunday we could fit in services @ Trinity. And yes, I’m a “real live teacher”! :-) How do I get the discounts you mentioned? Will007, If time allows I do plan to hit the museums you mentioned. As for the 294 steps, I better walk ‘em!! After all the food I plan to consume I’ll need all the exercise I can get! :D BTW… Neptune Oyster is on my “list” of possibilities. I figured wherever food is concerned we’ll have some ideas in mind (there are more possibilities then time) beforehand and whatever works when we are hungry is where we’ll go! Forgotmypword, After Remay’s suggestion I checked the Salem Ferry schedule on-line and the earliest ferry leaves @ 10:00 and returns at 6:00 (if I’m reading it right.) Will this allow enough time to see Salem?

Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions, information, and encouragement. You are the best!!

Have a TREMENDOUS Tuesday!!

P.S. I read Make Way for Ducklings to my class this morning. I can't wait to see it all "live and in person!"

Mentioned in this post
Charlesmark Hotel
Charlesmark Hotel
986 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Neptune Oyster
Neptune Oyster
1,707 Reviews
Boston, MA
Salem Ferry
Salem Ferry
326 Reviews
Salem, MA
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have I Missed Anything????

Wow, you're not messing around! :O

Regarding dinner before Blue Man. Near the theater:

Teatro--good Italian, not super expensive

Kaze Shabu Shabu--excellent Japanese "Hot Pot" place. Very yummy and fun as well.

Montien--super good Thai food. Order off the authentic Thai menu, if you are adventurous. Good sushi is also available here.

You should be able to find those places on Google maps.

That lunch in the North End should include Volle Nolle for outstanding sandwiches. Right on Hanover St.

Also, ditto on the MFA/Gardner museums rec.

Mentioned in this post
Teatro Restaurant
Teatro Restaurant
478 Reviews
Boston, MA
North End
North End
6,272 Reviews
Boston, MA