We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Big Timber, MT
14 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

My husband and I(early 40's) will be visiting Boston Monday May 19 to Thursday May 22. Still no hotel reservations yet. We will be going to a Red Sox game (have tix) on May 20. We enjoy eating out.... not real fancy (Hubby is a jeans guy) and going to Pubs....not touristy. Am thinking of trying Priceline for room but want to bid in the right area of Boston. Priceline areas are Copley Square, Quincy Market, Waterfront?? Would also like to see some of Bostons history....Freedom Trail, Tea Party. Would be nice to stay in area that offers good pubs at night not too far from hotel. Don't need anything fancy in place to stay. Clean room, good bed, coffee maker. Would rather put our money towards outside activities! Any suggestions ???

Big Timber, MT
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Oh I forgot... what areas have the cobblestone streets? I like that feel.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

We have one cobblestone street left. Called Acorn Street, you will see it on a walking tour of Beacon Hill.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

I should have mentioned tha much of the area around Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market are paved with cobblestones, but these are pedestrian areas, not streets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Look for hotels in Copley Square, Quincy Market, Downtown. Waterfront is somewhat out of the way and not as desireable

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

I think Boston is a great town to go priceline or hotwire. And I have done both with great success.

On priceline, my preference is the Copley zone. I would bid on 4*s. Quincy Market is okay, a decent second choice. I would not bid Waterfront, too far from the action. I really really wish they would not call that zone waterfront, it is misleading.

I checked your travel dates out on hotwire. The 4*s are all over $200 a night, but there was one good deal I saw - A 3* in the Boston Common-Theater District, for $156 a night. Amenities include: Fitness Center, Business Center, Restaurant, Hi Speed Internet Access. According to the pinned hotwire hotel list on betterbidding.com, this hotel matches the description of the Boston Park Plaza. I have stayed here several times. One time our room was quite small, the next time it was beautiful. Ask for a higher floor.

If you have never bid priceline before I recommend reading up on the Massachusetts board at betterbidding.com. You can see what hotels and prices others are getting on priceline and hotwire.

Big Timber, MT
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Thank you for the tips!! I bid Priceline today and got the Boston Park Plaza for $125.00/night. Reviews on trip advisor dont seem that great. Location looks great!

Did you request a larger room before or upon your arrival??

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

That location is great. You can ask for a larger room upon your arrival and if they can give it to you they will. Priceline gets you a great deal but you don't have the same control that a regular full-price reservation provides.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Ok I gotta try this..I need a room for 3 adults, a suite or 2 beds the night of the 2-4 May. We want to be near Quincy Market or Financial District. Which is a better bidding site? I am new to this. I always book the traditional way. I need parking for sure. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Caribchakita,

I have never used those sites either. I noticed on hotwire there is a 4.5 star hotel available for 3 adults in the financial district for $229 {$330 reg. price} I am almost certain it is the Hilton Financial District which have suites, one king or two doubles. You might want to bid on that. Parking in Boston is expensive. $30-40 per day. The Hilton charges $38.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Boston in May.... Priceline?

Meems, great job!

You got a great price on a decent hotel. There is a reason why reviews of this hotel are mixed, and I understand them from first hand experience.

The Park Plaza is a historic hotel. (I had my wedding reception there so I guess the place must be down right ancient...but I digress....)

The lobby is beautiful, warm and gracious and truly a special place.

The rooms vary. Some rooms are small, the renovated ones are larger. I have stayed in both and prefer the latter.

My tip is...Call the hotel now to confirm your registration... and ask the clerk to note on your reservation that you want a room with (one king/two doubles wahtever)...on a HIGH floor...

The higher floors are the most beautiful!

When you check in....ask the clerk again, remind that you called and requested it.

If for some reason you get to your room and it is teeny tiny closet-sized with one teeny tiny bed, don't set your luggage down, go back downstairs and request a larger room.

I'm betting if you follow that plan you will be just fine. Do report back and let us know how things went!