We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barking Crab Closed??

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Barking Crab Closed??

I just heard they shut down the "Barking Crab" does anyone have any details?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
591 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
463 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

I remember seeing something on the news a couple months back about the city closing them down if they didn't install sprinkler systems, but I figured they would comply and all would be OK. Maybe not?

Texas
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Well rats! The Barking Crab was on my list of possibilities. Maybe they will resolve their issues and reopen before my June arrival!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,109 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Today's Globe has the story.

Sounds partly political to me.

boston.com/business/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Oh, they'll definitely reopen before the high season hits. They get closed by the board of health every other year it seems, but it always gets resolved. The report this morning said they're concerned about the pilings holding the restaurant up, but I'd expect them to wait and repair that in the winter.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Teacher: Your first two words of your post is the reason I have never suggested this place.

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

"They get closed by the board of health every other year it seems, but it always gets resolved.".....that's encouraging....

I have never recommended this place to anyone since the sewerage in the lobster tank incident.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Agreed since the sewage incident in the 90's could never stomach going there...

Teacher91 while Salem, you could try Finz (at Pickering Wharf). It gets some mixed reviews but we ate there last week for lunch and it was pretty good. A short walk from PEM. See TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60954-d3225…

I am just suggesting this as someone in our group had the lobster roll and was very happy with it (remembering you were interested in Lobster Rolls).

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Also wanted to post that an article in Boston.com said that the owners of Barking Crab found the inspection timing to be 'suspicious' as a developer on the waterfront announced a large plan that involved moving the Barking Crab restaurant just yesterday. I guess the owners aren't really interested in moving (according to the article). Check it out on the Boston.com web site...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Here is the article link:

boston.com/business/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barking Crab Closed??

Makes me happy that I don't eat seafood! I work a stone's throw from the Crab and everyone here just loves the place. No thanks!