We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haymarket

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Haymarket

Is this anything that we need to be sure and visit on our vacation? Is it close to Quincy Market? Last time we were in Boston someone told us it was by Quincy Market, however, we never saw it.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Haymarket

The Haymarket is an open air market selling fruit, produce and fish. It takes place every Friday and Saturday and is near the "back" entrance (near the Harbor) of Quincy Market. If you've never been to a bazzaar, you'd probably find it interesting. You could also buy some fruit very cheaply to use for snacks.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haymarket

It is fun to stop by and some good bargains. I got a container of strawberries for 75 cents last summer. So even though there were some bad ones in there still worth it! You may have been here during the Big Dig construction (the highway construction that seemed to take forever). During some of the construction I believe Haymarket was moved (not sure about this though as I am not a regular visitor of it). But it definitely is back where Alan has detailed. Check this web site out:

boston-online.com/cityviews/haymarket.html

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haymarket

We were there last June and it was FABULOUS..the prices compared to where we live (in the Caribbean) was absurd. The cherries alone were worth the trip.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haymarket

Hi,

Haymarket is a fun place to visit. I work nearby and also shop there occassionally.

Let me just point out, for those from out of town and not familiar with the workings of Haymarket, that it's not like most other farmer's markets you see around the US.

The vendors at Haymarket go to the Boston Produce Market at the end of the week (Thursday/Friday) and buy up at a discount, whatever hasn't sold yet. So, the produce you see at Haymarket is days old and generally it's on its last legs. Combine that with the fact that (in warm weather anyway) it sits outside for hours and hours, and what you get is a lot of rotten produce.

This differs greatly from places like Pike Place Market in Seattle, or Reading Terminal Market in Philly, or the Union Sq. Greenmarket in Manhattan, because the produce in those places is fresh from the farm and very good quality.

You can save big bucks at Haymarket, but what you buy needs to be used that day, or blanched and frozen that day. If you plan to buy something to store in your refrigerator for a couple of days, you will have a moldy mess on your hands.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haymarket

It's also not unheard of for them to tuck the rotten strawberries under the fresher-looking ones. You have to inspect what you're getting, but it's a lot of fun nonetheless. Some vendors will yell at you, like.. it's a really lively scene.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haymarket

...by "yell at you" I mean not in a bad way but like in a real street market sort of way... not like anything I've ever experienced anywhere else. It's fun and lively and really a great experience and it's close to Quincy Market, etc. so it's not far from other common destinations...definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. And as people have said, the bargains are fantastic and you can get some good stuff...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,420 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haymarket

What do you mean "check for rotten strawberries on the bottom??!?" Don't touch our you're sure to be yelled at. ;)

I was there Saturday ... passed by on my way to the North End ... parked in the garage there ... places in the North End validate and as long as you are out in under 2 hours ... it's cheap!!

It was COLD that day, we we got some good deals. Yellow bell peppers -- 3/$1, just used the last one last night in stirfry. Brocolli -- 2 bunches for $1, fed the last of it to my kids' guinea pigs this evening ... personally, I won't touch the fish there ... even in the dead of winter ... but that's me ...

If I'm going to be in the area on Fri or Sat, I stop by ... I don't go out of my way to get there, although there ARE bargains.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Haymarket

When at Haymarket, ask around for Joe Butari. There are two, either one will treat you right. Tell him no old strawberries on the bottom. I have not been in a few years but will bet at least one is still working there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haymarket

I haven't been for ages but when I lived on Beacon Hill I shopped there almost every Saturday. When you have a limited food budget (because you're paying a ton in rent! LOL) it can work. I got to know specific vendors for certain vegetables and fruits, mainly learned through trial and error. Along the main corridor is Pete's Pub, a rather rundown dive bar and next to that is Blackstone Pizza. Perfect place for a slice while you're shopping. Watch out for the grannies with their metal wheeled shopping carts - they will run you over if you're not careful!

As you edge toward the backside of Faneuil Hall there will be some of the meat/poultry shops. Probably should be skipped by the casual visitor, as the environs are tough if you don't have a strong stomach. They tend to cater to a clientele who might have different standards in terms of food and cleanliness (goat heads on display, sawdust on the floor). But Puritan Beef will cut your meat to order, their prices are competitive and a bag of chicken thigh/leg parts is a bargain. I ate pretty well thanks to Haymarket.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Haymarket

Sadly, Pete's Pub is no more. It's now Durty Nellies, part of the Somers Pubs mini-empire (Dooleys, Green Dragon, Hennesy's and Paddy Os).