We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape cod tours next week?

texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
cape cod tours next week?

will be in boston area next week.will public transport get me to cape cod or any tours running? what do you do in april in the area?my friend and i are both 60 and have 3 days to fill any suggestions also where to eat

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cape cod tours next week?

Tours to Cape Cod do not begin until first week of May. There's really not much happening on Cape Cod at this time of year. Most places are just beginning to open up from their winter slumber. It's still mighty chilly and not the best time to visit. However, there is transportation down there if you so choose to go. www.p-b.com runs daily service from South Station or Park Square to the Cape. Service will take you to the Hyannis Trans. Center. From there, Cape Cod Regional Transit takes over to just about anywhere you wish to go on the Cape.

Boston would surely keep both of you busy for 3 days. Much to see and do.

Have a good time wherever you go!

texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape cod tours next week?

Thanks for the advice. If we decide to brave the weather , does the Plymouth &Brockton to Hyannis make sense to anyone? It is $40.00 round trip. Do you know anything about the chocolate tour---of course it would appeal to a couple of middle age tourist!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape cod tours next week?

The Boston Chocolate Trolley tour runs on Saturdays until the end of April.

trolleytours.com/Boston/chocolate-tour-bosto…

I just booked a tour for my husband and I but the only available date still open was

on April 19th. You can call to see if there are any cancellations.

An alternative ( and a stop on the Tour) is the Deluxe Chocolate Bar at the Langham Hotel.

It is also on Saturdays from noon to 3.

…langhamhotels.com/dining/…Chocolate

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape cod tours next week?

There is so much to do right in Boston! I would save a trip to Cape Cod for better weather (in my opinion). The weather has been quite cold lately (with temperatures in the 30's at night -- a little cooler than it usually is this time of year). So be sure to dress warmly.

If you really want to see the ocean and don't want to drive an alternative is to take the commuter train to Rockport. There are some cute shops, art galleries and restaurants and it is easy to get there by train. I am not sure how much is open however since it early yet. Search for "Rockport" on this forum.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape cod tours next week?

I think Sedum makes a good suggestion. There are several towns worth visiting on the "North Shore" of Massachusetts (north of Boston). Marblehead is also a very pretty town with a lot of waterfront and a lot to look at. Some of these towns are accessible by commuter train from North Station in Boston (you can research by doing a Google for mbta, or Massachusetts Bay Transportation whatever) but if you have luggage I'm not sure where the stations are exactly. Manchester-by-the-Sea is also extremely pretty and the train station is right in town.

But I wouldn't totally discourage you from Cape Cod. Yes, it's still late winter/early spring here. But if we have bad weather, we'll have it in Boston or Rockport, just as they will on Cape Cod. I say go to the places that interest you. You could also have magical early spring days, daffodils, and have Cape Cod practically to yourselves. The bus lines go to numerous towns, not only Hyannis. Pretty sure you can catch a bus to Falmouth and/or Woods Hole. If you don't have a car you'll be a little restricted in what you can do but some of the best towns on the Cape are really charming, they all have restaurants and quite a few year-round residents, some shops will be open although not all. If you decide to really look in to this do also a post on the "Cape Cod" board, not just "Boston".

texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cape cod tours next week?

Good idea, I had checked out Rockport earlier also the choc buffet at the hotel. All advice is much appreciated

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: cape cod tours next week?

Let's see... we've experienced snow, rain, and a 60 degree day in less than a week. If planning outdoor activities be flexible and have a backup plan. The trolley tours aren't a bad way to see popular spots in Boston, and you can usually get on/off at the stops. Not sure what their schedules are like right now but might be worth checking.

You could hop the commuter train to the North Shore or Newburyport for the day. Newburyport may be your best choice with a good selection of shops and restaurants open daily. There is much to see and do, it's a great place to visit.

texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cape cod tours next week?

Except for the snow, sounds a lot like Houston weather. Thanks for the advice I know we will have a great time

9. Re: cape cod tours next week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 17:20