We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

MD
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

First time in Boston and would like to have fresh seafood. Is there a restaurant in Boston with all you can eat lobster/seafood? Please let me know which seafood restaurant in Boston is good?

And How far the drive from Boston Logan airport to the Chinatown?

Under this Boston forum, a lot reviewers indicate 'T'! What is 'T'? thanks

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

If you can avoid driving from Logan to Chinatown, please do so! Driving in downtown Boston is a total nightmare! The "T" is the public transportation system. Officially it is the "MBTA" "Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority". So when you see references to the "T" they are referring most likely to the subway.

Northwestern VT
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

I don't know about all you can eat seafood in Boston, but I can recommend a very good seafood restaurant: Legal Seafood. They have several locations in and around Boston, as well as in FLorda, DC, and Virginia. Here is a link: legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/ac/wheres_legal

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

You can use the new "Silver Line" of the "T" to get from Logan Airport to South Station, which is adjacent to Chinatown, or you can take the Blue Line to State St., and connect to the Orange Line/Forest Hills and go 2 stops to Chinatown. My opinion is that the Silver Line is best.

I've never, in all my 50+ years known of an all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant in Boston. If there is one, I consider myself lucky to have never been there. With the possible exception of shellfish on the half-shell, the type of seafood Boston is known for doesn't lend itself to sitting out in a buffet.

My favorite seafood restaurant (IN Boston) is the Barking Crab, located on Sleeper St., on the Fort Point Channel, near South Station. It's very casual, with open air, waterfront dining. It's particularly fun after work and weekends when the weather is nice.

I can also recommend McCormick & Schmick or Legal Seafood, both "chains" located in Park Square, just a couple blocks from Chinatown. Legal has other locations, but my personal experience has been that the quality of their "satellite" locations is not up to par. Neither of these offers all-you-can-eat. They are decidedly more expensive than the Barking Crab, but a good deal more upscale as well.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

If you want seafood, and you want a real "Boston" experience, the two best places to go are NoName, or the Union Oyster House.

NoName restaurant is a hole-in-the-wall place on the Boston Fish Pier. It was originally a little place where the fishermen would go to eat. It didn't even have a name. As years went by, word got out how good the food was, and it got more popular. But, they decided to keep the "no name", hence the Noname restaurant. In my opinion, they have the best fish chowder in the city, and wonderful fried/broiled fish platters, and of course lobster as well. For dessert, they have homemade pies (blueberry is my favorite) that are delicious. They are not big on atmosphere (plastic cups for soda, paper tablecloths), but it's a lot of fun, and the food is fantastic. There's free parking on the fish pier, too, which is very unusual for a downtown Boston restaurant.

On the other hand, Union Oyster House is full of old time Boston atmosphere. It is the oldest continuously-operating restaurant in the US (since 1836). Inside, it's all dark wood, creaky floors, low ceilings and high-backed wooden booths. It really screams "colonial". It's located next to Quincy Market, on the Freedom Trail, but even though it's in a touristy area, I eat there frequently and I think the food is great. They have lobster, of course, and great clam chowder. The prices will be higher than NoName, but it is definitely a fun place to try, if you want the "Boston" atmosphere.

Regarding getting from Logan to Chinatown, the Silver Line T is definitely the best way. If you take it to South Station, you are only a couple of blocks away from Chinatown. When you get to Logan, just ask any employee to point you towards the Silver Line stop in front of the terminal.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

A few places around Boston offer the least expensive lobster during the summer. One is Whiskey's, at Boylston & Gloucester streets, across from the Hynes Convention Center in the Back Bay. The lobster/french fries/cole slaw at lunch or dinner is about $14 for the single lobster, and $20 for the "twin lobster" special. They are a pub serving barbecue (the lobsters are boiled!) and mainly make their money selling drinks. But they have no problem bringing you iced tea.

Are there others watching who know of similar deals?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

The Mount Vernon Restaurant in Somerville (a block from Sullivan on the Orange Line) likes to promote its "daily lobster specials." It's more of a "locally popular" sort of establishment than a destination, but everything I've tried there - and I worked nearby for eight years - was adequate at worst and superb at best. (The fried pickles are fantastic :D ) Not being a lobster fan, I couldn't speak for how well they cook that crustacean, but the place has been open at the Great Depression and still draws a crowd.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood Restaurant and Lobster around Boston

Oops...past my bedtime (lol)...meant to say "since the Great Depression!"