We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in New England

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in New England

Hi there,

My family (wife and 6 month old) are going to be spending 7 nights in New England, 3 of these will be in Boston, with another 4 to be spent exploring NE. We have hired a car, with a pick up in Boston and drop in NYC. So where would people recommend we go?

Thanks for you help

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in New England

Scenic coastal, beautiful lakes regions, mountains, rolling hills with charming towns.? What time of year will this be? Tell us what areas you and your wife will most likely enjoy and then we're off and running. I will only make my suggestions based on staying two nights in each area you are interested in so your not bouncing around from night to night.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in New England

Hope you haven't reserved the car while you're in Boston. It is best not to have a car if you are staying right in Boston as the parking is expensive, the driving is confusing and the excellent public transportation and walking can get you most places. A car may be needed if you plan to stay outside of Boston and do day trips into Boston.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in New England

If you plan to explore New England, NYC may not be the best place to drop the car. The drive to NYC from northern New England can be over 6 hours, depending where you start from. Do you have an outline of which states you are visiting? There are 6 states that cover quite a bit of territory. If you are sticking with the states of southern New England you should be able to see a little of each Conn, Rhode Island and Mass. The drive to NYC while it can be pretty, it is also very busy, try not to be in any rush hour traffic.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in New England

I think I agree with the previous post, about perhaps not dropping the car off in NYC. You could arrange to return it in Boston (or Providence, or New Haven, just for starters) and then take the Amtrak train or a bus to NYC. Just an idea.

You haven't said what time of year you are coming. If you are here anytime that the weather is warmish (let's say from May through October) then I'll probably suggest you try to be in Boston over the weekend days and do your exploring NE on weekdays. You might avoid a lot of traffic that way.

Here are some well-loved spots in New England that might be worth considering:

Cape Cod, Massachusetts (my favorite towns are Provincetown, Chatham, and Wellfleet)

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts (an island, so you must take ferry or fly there)

Newport, Rhode Island and nearby rural areas -- you could combine this with spending several hours in Providence, Rhode Island which has two famous colleges, lots of beautiful old architecture, and is known for good Italian food.

Western massachusetts, such as Northampton, and the "Berkshire Mountains" area. Can be packed in the summertime -- this is where the Boston Symphony Orchestra spends its summer, at Tanglewood.

Vermont -- southern Vermont is only about 2 hours away from Boston. It's about 4 hours from Boston to Burlington, Vermont. Vermont is extremely beautiful and peaceful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in New England

Some really good ideas/areas already.

Assuming they will in fact drop the car off in NYC, something like enjoying the 3 days in Boston then picking up the rental car and heading to Cape Cod for a couple nights. From there a couple nights in Newport, then on to NYC would seem logical although it would be a mainly "coastal" type vacation.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in New England

I would ditto what Will and others say. A week is short for New England but lovely for the SW coast. As an alternative end there are 2 ferries that you can take from CT down to Long Island. You could enter NYC from the East instead of the North and see a little of the Hamptons on the trip. Port Jefferson is in the middle of Long Island and Orient Point is way at the tip. Haul out a map and see if either peak your interest.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in New England

Hey Folks,

Thanks a million for all the replies. First up we are picking the car up on the day we leave Boston. I've been thinking over our decision to drop the car off in NYC, as it kind of limits the direction we can go from Boston. So we might just drop the car back to Boston or indeed Providence, which will allow us to do a loop starting and finsihing in Boston.

I think if we are going do a loop, we will spend one night in each place, but if we just leave Boston and head towards New York, we would spend 2 nights in Cape Cod, and possibly 1 night in two other locations.

Thanks again

Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in New England

BTW we are going to be in NE the end of May beginning of June.

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in New England

Boston is very family friendly! I agree, driving in Boston is not recommended.... you can walk almost everywhere and take the T (subway) almost anywhere.

If you want to get out of the city, then you could take the train but you probably need a car.

Here are some suggestions for restaurants, museums, drives, etc

www.lovebostonwithme.com

Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: 7 days in New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 07:17