We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

I am going to Boston in 2 weeks and would like to have some lobsters again. I went to a place called No Name 6 years ago and was impressed.. It was a cash-only place and the price wasn't bad. Can someone tell me if the place is still open, whether they take credit cards now, and how is best to get there with a car?

Other than this No Name place, can someone recommend any other good and cheap lobster joints in Boston? I don't want anything fancy..

Thanks in advance!!!

:-)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

No-Name is still in business on the Fish Pier in South Boston. I don't frequent it, so I'm not sure about the credit cards. To get there, turn onto Seaport Boulevard from Atlantic Avenue. Seaport Boulevard runs straight into Northern Avenue. Look for the Fish Pier on the left after the World Trade Center.

Many of the pubs serve the lowest cost lobster. Look for flags saying "Lobster Special", as lobster is usually not one of their regular menu entrees. You can check the Black Rose or the row of pubs on the Blackstone Block across from the Holocaust Memorial.

AlanM

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

the Barking Crab might be worth a visit. While still casual its a step up from No Names. Hard to find cheap lobster any where these days, even for steaming at home. No names does not take credit cards. They haven't since 1917 and I don't think they ever plan on changing that.

I remember being a little kid and any time we came to Boston my parents would drag us (walking) from Fanueil Hall ALL the way across the bridge and down the peirs to No names. That's a long way for a 6 year old :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

You could go to James Hook Lobster right on the upper end of Northern Ave. It would be walkable from either the Long Wharf or South Station areas. It's not a sit down place, but they would steam one up for you. They have some picnic tables outside on the Fort Point Channel to enjoy on a nice day. They are also home to the $12 Lobster roll if that interests you.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

Hi,

Yes, No Name is still in business, and will probably be there forever. They do take Credit Cards now, but little else has changed, except for the price of lobster, which will be significantly more expensive than 6 years ago.

No Name is a good place to get lobster, fish chowder, or fried fish platters. I'm not quite as fond of their broiled and baked fish dishes.

Are you staying downtown? If so, you don't need a car. You can get to the Fish Pier, where No Name is located, via the Silver Line bus, which you pick up inside the South Station red line subway station. Take the Silver Line to Silver Line Way, that's probably the closest stop.

If you need to drive there for some reason, they have free parking, believe it or not, right on the Fish Pier. To give you directions, I'd have to know where you are coming from.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

The No Name has free parking.

the beach
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

This is a great homey little place:

Mt. Vernon Restaurant at 14 Broadway in East Somerville(short walk from Sullivan Sq. Orange Line Stop) has had twin lobster special for years under $15

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

I was also going to suggest Barking Crab. If you have a car, then I suggest driving up to Ipswich and have lobster in the rough at Woodman's. Nothing can beat it. You pick out your lobster outside, get it served on a paper plate with the best melted butter ever, go inside and choose your drink and then you have the best lobster you ever have had. It is VERY casual - nothing fancy about it, except the lobster, but that is what makes it taste so great!

You can find links here:

lovebostonwithme.com/Boston/day.trips.html

Enjoy!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

Some thoughts:

Lobster is seasonal. You can always get it, but it's really expensive for about four months of the year. (Colleagues check me on how many months - and I know, it's always expensive, anymore.) Conditions are brutal for lobstermen from December to March.

Lobster prices spiked last year - if you can call it that, because they stayed up, historically high. Chix have been going for ~$14/lb. across winter. About $7/lb. is as good as it gets, anymore. But that's probably a quaint historical artifact. Just meant to be a benchmark (?!)

You can get many grocery stores to cook them for you for take away. Shaw's makes lobster rolls, and McDonalds does so in the summer for ~$5. I think Shaw's are smaller, this year. (I know, colleagues, blasphemy, but some can't stomach the price of entry at $22 (!!!) a roll...)

Woodman's, in my opinion, has gotten gawdawfully expensive. Definitely the icon, though. Less expensive, still gawdawfully expensive, is the Lobster Pool along Route 127 at Folly Cove in Rockport. But they're still pretty close to town. (They do a super haddock & chips, too.) You've gotta get aways downeast - Maine - for the price to come down.

The Mt. Vernon's prices vary. Through the winter, they've been ~$26 for their "twin lobster special". But they always come down in season to ~$14 for the same. There is another pub that has them at about ~$14 single, $22 twin. It's Whiskey's, across from the Hynes convention center on Boylston. Fries and cole slaw. I haven't seen their banner go up yet this year. Can't wait. Shaw's, here I come.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

Shaw's is a good suggestion. They have come a long way in a few years for this idea.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: No Name and other places for cheap lobsters???

Peach Farm in Chinatown.