We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking?

charlottesville
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
parking?

I was chatting with some of the ladies that work for the company I do but are in Boston and they suggested that it would be more cost effective for us to drive into the city and park instead of parking out in Natick, catching the commuter rail and then the T. What do you guys think? And if so where do I find a parking garage. They said to expect it to cost about 20-30 a day, does that sound right? Obviously we would like to park in a good central location if we are going to park in the city. Thanks for all the help you guys have given us in planning...I am getting a little more nervous about the trip the closer it gets, I just think we will be wondering around lost the whole time so I am worried!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: parking?

Where specifically are you going in Boston?? Parking costs, even just for daytime, could approach $35 in the Downtown Center. The cheapest there is the Boston Common Underground Garage, which is $27 a day. Then you can about $5 or $6 in tolls from Natick, plus your gas. I really don't think you "save" anything this way, but I guess you would be more in command of your time than you would using the Commuter Rail.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: parking?

Hi,

Yes, plan to spend between $20-30 weekdays, more towards $30 if your going to be in the city all day and evening. I'm not certain how fast the garages fill up, but a good one like the Boston Common garage must fill up very early on a weekday. You may just have to drive around a while to find one. I hope your aware of the chaos your going to face driving in. Boston and it's suburbs is not an easy drive, especially in the mornings and afternoons on a weekday. Weekends is much easier and the parking is cheaper and easier to find. If you don't think this is for you, by all means take the commuter rail in. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking?

Oh boy, driving in is something you don't want to deal with if you can help it. For those from outside New England who are used to seeing signs and directions clearly marked will find themselves in traffic hell. Add to this the one ways and you're going to be tearing your hair out.

Boston is a city best seen and managed on foot. Most of what you'll want to do and see accessible through public transportation. The commuter rail comes in to South Station and will connect you to the Red Line and the rest of the T system, or you can grab a map at one of the stalls and start walking. You could always compromise and drive to Riverside station on the Green Line, but you'd still be faced with a drive back to Natick. As others have said, between gas, tolls, the parking and what your time is worth, I wouldn't drive in.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: parking?

You could always jump off the train at Back Bay and start exploring from there instead of taking it to South Station. Back Bay would be a nice area to start your exploring. It's also very close to where you would catch a Duck Tour at the Prudential Center.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking?

Ok...chack out this website I jsut found. Way cool.

http://boston.bestparking.com/#

So here is my take. I KNOW the streets of Boston. I worked downtown for years and when you walk the streets you really get to know them. In this case I would agree with your friends in Natick. I think nothing of hoping in the car and parking downtown. It's "Easy"...for me. But I would NEVER have the same confidence in NYC which is a much easier city to navigate. Do you have a co pilot with you who can read a map? If yes than go for it. Visit the web site I listed and get comfortable with a few PP in a given area. Keep in mind that many streets are one way so either compare against a street map that shows those or pick a few garages in a given area and pull in one that looks good. I would opt for a bigger lot that you don't have to leave your keys with but thats just me.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking?

Of course, it depends on how many of there you are, but I don't think money should be the deciding factor here. There will be no huge savings, if any. If driving/parking/navigating in town is going to make you apprehensive, then just take the commuter rail and relax. Just make sure you check the commuter rail schedule and catch the train back in time. Note that the weekend and weekday schedules are different. You can find schedules on mbta.com. Natick is on the Framingham/Worcester line.

You don't need a car when you are in town. The subway is very easy to use and you can walk just about anywhere since Boston is very compact.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking?

Hi,

If you want to "split the difference" so to speak, maybe you would want to drive from Natick to the Riverside Green Line station and take the Green LIne from there? It's only a 10 minute drive from Natick, and the Green Line fare is $2pp, which is cheaper than the Commuter Rail.

Also, the Green Line will be much more convenient, as you won't need to worry about a schedule and it runs all throughout the city, instead of dropping you off just at Back Bay or South Station.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: parking?

Good idea Beantown Man

charlottesville
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: parking?

Thank you guys all so much for your help!! Riverside Station sounds like the way to go for us, when it comes to navagating we are pretty good at it but we have two different ideas about it so we usually end up in a bit of a spat over it, and who want's to spend their vacation mad or lost in a car!!

10. Re: parking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 18:19