We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

We are traveling to Boston for mother's day weekend. We will be there Fri, Sat and Sun and would like to visit the MOS and aquarium with our 3-yr-old. What is the best time/day to visit each museum, with regard to crowds? We had heard that Sun morning is the best for the aquarium (plus it will be mother's day, if that matters). Is a Friday best for the MOS?

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

Yes your plan is good. Plus kids aren't quite out of school yet but it is close enough to the end of classes that parents will probably be waiting for the summer to bring their kids. So even if you end up on a Saturday it might not be too bad. The only small concern on the Friday is that there might be some schools doing end of year field trips. But you really can't control or predict that.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

Since you have a three year old, I would like to tell you that The Boston Children's Museum is open late on Fridays and the admission charge is only one dollar from 5 PM-9 PM. Weekends are busy at both the Museum of Science and the Aquarium. Later in the afternoon seems to be quieter but that is usually on the weekdays vs weekends. Sunday mornings are probably quieter but I must admit that I have not been to the MOS or the Aquarium on Sunday mornings.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

You'll get lots of school feild trips in both locaitons before 1:30pm on Friday ... so later in the day is better in that regard.

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

Thank you all. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

I think the 3 year old would enjoy the Boston Children's museum more than the MOS. Plus the Children's museum and aquarium are closer to each other. Just something to consider if you haven't been to the Children's museum. The MOS would be better for slightly older kids (1st grade and up).

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

I agree with Sedum. You can have plenty of fun with the Children's Museum and Aquarium. Tiny kids do better at the Children's Museum, which has tons for them. The MOS is more geared towards school-aged children, though there is some stuff for younger kids and those toddlers can also enjoy pushing buttons that create effects without reading the explanatory material designed to teach. All in all, though, the MOS is really geared more for older kids.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

I would agree your three year old would like the Boston Children's Museum better but if you do go to the Museum of Science make sure you go to the Discovery Center it is geared for the 6 and under crowd.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
226 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

Buy your tickets online for the aquarium. I was going to go there this past Saturday, it was probably around 1pm, and the line to buy tickets was wicked long - and it was cold out so we didn't even go in. Definitely gets busy!!

9. Re: Best time for the aquarium and Museum of Science?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 03:18