We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite italian restuarant

United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
favorite italian restuarant

We plan a 3 day trip to Boston in August followed by 4 days on the cape. Husband is Italian and looks forward to some "real" food. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: favorite italian restuarant

Last year, we ate at La Summa in the North End---a wonderful meal! Homemade sauce and homemade pasta! In fact, next week when we're in town, we definitely plan to have a meal there again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: favorite italian restuarant

My favorite is Cantina Italiana on Hanover St... followed by espresso and dessert on any of the cafes nearby. For a huge selection of desserts... Mike's Pastries on Hanover.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: favorite italian restuarant

You'd be hard pressed to find to a bad meal in the North End. Places like Mamma Maria's and Cantina Italiana have been around forever and are like your favorite pair of shoes. Others, like L'Uomo and Pomodoro have sprung up in the last dozen years and have attempted to bring a more accurate sense of Italian food and atmosphere to the neighborhood - the cuisine is more than just red sauce and Chianti.

Because the North End is residential, it's not unusual for people to have a fave spot where they might nip in two or three times a week.

My husband loves Villa Francesca, on Richmond Street, as holds pleasant childhood memories. They also make a mean lobster ravioli. I like Cafe Florentine on Hanover for the zinc bar and the seating overlooking the street. On Feast weekends it's perfect!

Woburn, MA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: favorite italian restuarant

I'm a huge fan of Pagliuca's on Parmenter Street, just off of Hanaover at the stop light. They are family style and have huge portions. This is a very small place and fills up real fast. I eat there so often that my picture is on the wall!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: favorite italian restuarant

Mtrek - what's the price range for Pagliucca's? thanks

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: favorite italian restuarant

I don't have the North End fixation that a lot of folks do, and really like the Tuscan Grill in Waltham. Another excellent, "undiscovered" Italian restaurant is Firenze - a tiny, trattoria-style place in Brookline. But I'm fairly casual in terms of what constitutes an authentic Italian dining experience - as long as there are at least four courses to the dinner and no red sauces, I'm convinced (LOL.)

United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: favorite italian restuarant

Thanks all for suggestions. I need to go and run now to try to lose 5 lbs BEFORE august.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: favorite italian restuarant

There's also Maggianno's in Park Square... another family style place with great food outside the North End, but really close to the hotels in the Back Bay/South End/Copley areas. You may want to make reservations if your timing coincides with the theatre crowd's, since it's adjacent to the theatre district as well.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: favorite italian restuarant

I love the North End, but if you're overwhelmed by the choices, one of my favorites is Ciao Bella on Newbury Street. It has patio seating as well as a gorgeous, romantic interior. There are even bigscreen HD televisions at the bar, so you can catch the game while eating if you like. Since it's in a heavy tourist area, you can dress as casually as you like or get dressed up and make a night of it (there's a very popular bar underneath it called Daisy Buchanan's). It has a fairly simple, traditional menu with a lot of veal, which is outstanding. And I highly recommend the mussels, they're exceptional. Best of all, the prices are fair, especially considering how overpriced most places are in that area. I had not been there in a couple of years, but went last week, and it was even better than I remembered.

Woburn, MA
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: favorite italian restuarant

Price at pag's average between 12-20 a plate, but the plates are huge.