We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
909 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

Just wondering. I may want to stay in some spots and not so much the others. I have a Top 25 Boston book, but I know it's not like a guide.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

It's probably a good idea to grab one at the visitor center at Boston Common before you head out. They will give you a brief description of each place. Can't hurt to have one!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

No, you do not necessarily need a guide. One option you may consider is downloading an audio guide so you can go at your own pace yet enrich your visit.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

No there is no need for an actual person to guide you. They are wonderful resources but going at your own pace allows you to check out shops and food along the way. Check out http://www.thefreedomtrail.org If you want to go start to finish start at the Boston Common and duck in the visitors center for any information. There are no rules where you start...if you get tierd and want to pick up the rest another day feel free. I encourage you not to miss old ironsides at the very end. Have a great viait.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

A walking tour is fun to do. I've gone on several of the tours by Boston By Foot and learned things not in any guide book. So I can recommend this particular company.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

I was assuming she meant a guide, as in a guide booklet or map, not an actual tour guide. You definitely don't need a person to guide you if that's what you meant.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

A guide book or a guide as in a person doing a gudided tour? I'm confused. You do not need a person to do the Freedom Trail. I think most people just follow along at their own pace and do not join the guided tours.

You can simply follow the trail and see all there is to see, stay as much or as little as you want at each site. There are plaques on just about every historical site that will let you know what you are looking at and the history of teh site.

A guide book is a good idea if you want to know more of the historical details as you go along.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

I'm afraid plaques "that will let you know what you are looking at and the history of teh site" [sic] are sorely lacking.

AlanM

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
909 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

Thanks everyone. I was not real clear. I meant a person to guide me. I will definitely check out the visitor's center. I was thinking about starting backwards at Old Ironsides by taking the ferry over. I believe I read on here that someone suggested that. I'll also check out the website this weekend.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

Good idea to start at the USS COnstitution. It is often missed since people are weary at the end of the walking trail if they try to do it all in one day! Taking the MBTA ferry is picking up near the Aquarium (Long Wharf) is one option. Will007 has also written about a harbor cruise that takes you by Old Ironsides and gives you a narrated talk and then drops you off. This also sounded interesting to try. This one also departs at Long Wharf also.

www.bostonharborcruises.com/h_uss_main.html

10. Re: Do you need a guide to do the Freedom Trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 19:18