We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting to work in Melrose for 12 months - lots of...

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
47 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Commuting to work in Melrose for 12 months - lots of...

I will be working on a project in Melrose for 12 months. Since I have only been to the Boston area once, I would like to ask some questions. I typically will be working 4 - 5 days and flying home for a few and then back to the Boston area.

At least once a month I will have my spouse come up instead of me coming home and we plan to do alot of tourist things which we are very excited about too! I have picked up alot of ideas for weekend trips from the board, as well as restaurants.

First - what is the best airport to fly into? Seems I have many choices - from Logan to Manchester to Providence? Pros and cons on any?

Secondly, Melrose doesnt' appear to be too big - apparently a nearby suburb to Boston? So far in my research haven't found any hotels in Melrose - so what are the closest towns I should be looking toward? I think I would rather stay closest to where I work for convenience - Melrose looks a little to the North of Boston.

I believe I may want to stay in an extended stay hotel or B&B suite type thing instead of an apartment - any ideas? This has been the toughest for me - I don't know where anything is! You can look all you want online at hotels, but if you don't know how far something is - it's hard! All help would be appreciated.

I will have to figure out transportation based on what town I end up staying in. I will either rent a car weekly or just lease one and park it at the airport when I go home.

Any help would be appreciated! I am looking forward to my adventure - coming from Florida though, I will probably freeze - any word on what month it gets really cold and snows?

Thanks,

Mary

Level Contributor
421 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting to work in Melrose for 12 months - lots of...

Hi Mary! Melrose is a nice town, but you're right, no big hotels. First I would suggest that you get a good map of eastern Massachusetts, that will hopefully answer many questions about location. Logan airport is closer to Melrose than Manchester, so it depends on your willingness to drive almost an hour to avoid Logan and or get lower airfares. Providence is an hour south. Perhaps on one of your spouse's visits you could spend the weekend in NH, and then Manchester makes good sense (and another weekend in Providence!). I agree that it would make your life easier to stay nearer to Melrose than in Boston while you are working. There are a couple of hotels in Medford and Malden, and also in Wakefield. While Saugus is next to Melrose, you'll want to find out if the hotel is on Rt. 1, which has lots of traffic and might be too noisy for you. It gets cold in October, and warms up in April (sorry!). Keep posting questions!

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commuting to work in Melrose for 12 months - lots of...

The closest mid range hotels are probably in Saugus MA on Route 1 - which is also an area with lots of shopping (Square one Mall) and a lot of restaurants. You may want to check out Woburn or Revere as well. There is an Amerisuites Hotel in Medford MA that may be worth checking out as well. Melrose is defitely closer to Logan. Good Luck.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commuting to work in Melrose for 12 months - lots of...

I would also look to contact a company that specializes in short-term furnished housing in the Boston area. They may have something in the Melrose area that would work for you.

Melrose is just north of Boston, bordered by Wakefield, Stoneham, Malden and Saugus. The Oak Grove stop on the Orange Line is on Main Street in Melrose, and it is also serviced by MBTA buslines. It also has access via the commuter rail out of North Station. It is a rather small town, but very dense with a couple of supermarkets and other shopping. The Wakefield and Stoneham sides of Melrose are a little leafier than the Malden side. Nothing against Malden - it's just a more blue collar town that Melrose.

I would do a Google search on Melrose to see what comes up. You are not far from Boston and from further amusements on Route 1.

Just as an FYI: Boston is one of the most expensive places to rent a car, and renting from Logan can send you over the edge. Once you're settled it might be a good idea to look at a long-term rental from an agency out in the burbs. You'd be amazed at what you can save.

The weather here is an adventure in itself! The days start to get crisp come the middle of October, with days in the 60s and nights in the 30s and 40s. November can be chilly as the grey and damp moves in. It's unlikely to see snow during December but we've also had some surprise storms that have been doozies! I've also experienced decorating for the holidays with the doors and windows hanging open because it's 65 degrees and the roses are still blooming! Go figure.

I would suggest you outfit your winter closet with layers. Wool is good, down is great. A good pair of boots like L.L. Bean boots are essential! The streets can get slushy and you need something to keep your fet dry. Fleece has become the great equilizer against the cold, and it comes in everything from shirts to pants to socks. The kind of commute you have will determine the type of coat you wear. I commute by T so I wear a long fur-lined trench that repels water and is good for standing out for prolonged periods. If you're driving you may find a shorter jacket less cumbersome. If you're arriving soon you'll be able to adapt as the weather turns cooler.

Welcome to Boston!