We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in Boston

We will be in Boston mid July, staying in the Marriott Copley.

We want to rent a car in Boston to travel around Cape Cod, spend 4 days there, and then return car to Boston Logan airport for our flight home.

Any suggestions of best place for car rental?

Also, are there hidden costs?

Should I organise the car hire before we leave on our holiday?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Boston

I've always had great luck with the travel websites (expedia.com, orbitz.com, et. al.). They allow you to pick-up and drop-off the car at different locations. I wouldn't get the car until you're ready to leave for the CApe because there's nowhere to park overnight without paying at least $30-$40 for 24 hours. Most major companies have locations in downtown Boston. Check their websites. Worst case scenario: you take the Blue Line subway back into the airport to pick-up the car. For subway info go to www.mbta.com

The only hidden costs I've encountered when renting a car? When picking it up the front desk person always seems to be pushing "extra insurance." Whether it's legit or not I don't know--I always decline it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Boston

Having just rented a car for a recent trip to Virginia several weeks before my trip I put in a rental reservations direct with Avis and Hertz. For this I didn't need to put in a credit card. Then I went back to the sites 1 week before and checked if there were additional deals etc. We ended up getting a car w/unlimited mileage for 1 week for total of $88! Quite a good deal. This didn't have any insurance since our regular auto insurance policy and credit card covers it so we declined the pricey collision insurance.

I've used Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. before for hotels and the only problem is sometimes you need to pay in advance so if you want flexibility I think these are hard to change or you have penalties to change.

Since you are an international visitor, you must check with your credit card issuer to see if it covers collision etc. in a foreign country. I know my credit card doesn't cover this insurance for international rentals only domestic. I probably wouldn't go without the insurance but you'll need to check if you can use a credit card etc. for this instead of buying the extra insurance.

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Boston

When renting - check the location you're renting from and on what day. A lot of inner-city locations are closed during the weekend, which means you'll have to pick up at the airport, but rental cars rented from the airport often have those extra airport parking surcharges.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Boston

I've used AutoEurope for years and only recently realized that they now book cars for Europeans traveling in the USA. Here's the Irish Autoeurope site:

www.autoeurope.ie/index.cfm…

They are particularly good at showing you what your options are in terms of where you can pick up and drop off a car, and what time these different offices are open.

They basically find the best deal for a given type of car from various rental agencies, and then guarantee the rate they quote you.

Gwent
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car in Boston

We rented a car when we were there in April booked Dollar thru' Virgin but whatever you do if you book with Dollar do not i repeat do not use their office on Cambridge st staff unhelpful requested sat-nav showed them the confirmation but they still charged us for the time used still waiting for refund.

Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in Boston

Thanks for all suggestions

What are the insurance costs?

Are the prices quoted from car hire companies including insurance or do we have to organise insurance separately.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in Boston

sedum: That was a great deal.. Good for you!!

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in Boston

Sedum, that's the best deal i've heard of!!! congrats!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,938 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in Boston

Baradcc LDW loss damage waiver is 22.00 to 25.00 bucks a day,back in the 1980's it was only 2 bucks a day.

10. Re: Renting a car in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:18