We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Boston

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
324 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Go Boston

We (a family of 4 with 2 boys ages 9 and 12) stayed at the Midtown for 5 nights, June 8 - 13th.

day 1

We set out toward Fenway Park (we wanted to tour but they had a early game that day and got there a little late)...looked around and set of for Tomb by 5Wits an interactive show/adventure was much fun...(free w/ the Go Boston card)

Then to the Ava Stewart Gardner museum (free w/ GoBoston card)

Then to the Science Museum free w/ GoBoston card and then a Duck tour right outside the Science Museum (also free w/ the Go Boston card

made it back to the Prudential building to eat a fantastic dinner at Legal Seafoods...had a BostonUSA specials card sent to us for free....it offers free appetizer at Legal Seafoods (but did not work at this location)

day 2

We took a train from N. Station to Salem for about $10.00 round-trip per adult (kids free)

went to the Salem witch museum free w/GoBoston

then to the Peabody Essex museum free w/GoBoston

and the house of the 7 gables free w/ Go Boston

bought candy from the oldest candy store and had lunch at the Witches brew (very good food and service) walked around the wharf..

went back to Boston and they boys were missing Fenway so we went back to eat and drink at game on..

day3

Whale watch with Boston Harber cruises (scheduled through Mass bay lines) free w/ GoBoston card and absolutely fascinating! It was also about 97 degrees that day in the city and a perfect day to be on the water.....came back and

boarded the Liberty tall ship to sail out again...fabulous and the boys got their turn at the wheel....didn't make it back in time to hang out at the aquarium that day...had to reschedule ;o)

waked to Faneuil Hall to eat at Cheers...(our GoBoston card gave us an almost $8.00 discount off of our meal)......

We were staying near the Prudential building so we went up to view the city on the Skywalk. (Didn't have time after dinner the 1st night)tried again to use my Boston USA specials card for the $2.00 off but didn't work because of a private party on one side so we were getting a slight discount anyway..

worn out and slept early.....

day4

Started with a guided tour of the Freedom Trail free w/ Go Boston (does not go the the N end) but was very informative and entertaining better than trying to explain each stops importance to our kids ourselves.

then we made it to the Aquarium - great one to visit - free w/ GoBoston card

then we walked to the childrens museum...that was a hit....great for kids on just about any age and really like the Japanese house. free w/ GoBoston card

went to Fenway for a park tour....(free w/ GoBoston card) then hung out for batting practice and the game (was able to purchase standing room tickets for the 4 of us 1 week before the game at face value directly from the MLB site....great deal because we met wonderful people that had grown up going to Fenway that helped us get seats directly behind homeplate the last inning and a half....as people were leaving early - since the Red Sox put on such a great performance and were up by so many points! What a great view of the remainder of the game! And the boys were thrilled to hear from friends and family that we were clearly visible on TV.. We cannot put into words that experience and both Varitek and Lowell hit homeruns....

Day5

started with the Beantown Trolley tour 2 days free with GoBoston card

visited Harvard....the students were giving free guided tours (very informative....but broke free before it ended to visit the Harvard natural history museum and the Peabody museum (both free with the GoBoston card).....

left and headed to Boston Garden to check out the NE sports museum (free with GoBoston card - but was closed)

so we went to Paul Revere's house (free w/ card)....

then off to see Kennedy Library / museum (free w/card) a must see....

then off to game 2 ....not great seats we paid $70.00 for $30.00 grandstand 7 seats on Stubhub...the view wasn't as good...nice pole right in front of the batter...a loud group of rude people that worked for City Sports and got free tickets sat in front of us trying to ruin our time....but the Red Sox gave us another great performance as a distraction....3 homeruns including Lowell's Grand Slam! my kids are still breaking out randomly with verses of "sweet Caroline and Dirty Water"

day 6

Our GoBoston cards were for 5 days but we still had the 2nd free day of our Beantown Trolley for free....we visited Trinity Church (a must do) I think this was $12.00 per adult..

We walked the N. End and ate in the Italian district and bought ice cream and pastries from Mike's.. visited the USS constitution and the museum (free) and walked aboard a modern Naval ship...and got a glimps of the Bunker Hill monument ....but no time to climb the stairs..as we had to head back to our hotel where they had locked up our bags again...because we had a later flight out than checkout time...

we ordered our GoBoston cards early on-line with a discount offer and paid $126.00 for each adult and $67.00 each child for 5day cards with a $5 mailing fee...totalling $391.00

We kept record of all of our activities and their cost...(not taking into consideration any individual discounts or coupons that might have been available) and our total for adult activities were $569.90 for the 2 adults and for the 2 children $323.40 worth of activities.... for a savings of...$502.30......this is a GREAT VALUE....even if you don't plan to stop at as many places as we did...and we also received almost $8.00 off of our bill at Cheers and could have stopped at many more places...(we were bummed that the sports museum was closed for the NBA finals)...but go Celtics!

My BostonUSA specials card that you can request free off of BostonUSA com or call 888 SEE BOSTON didn't help me much but the free guides and maps were great and I did notice you can get 10% off of your GoBoston on-line purchase of the card by using discount code BostonUSA at checkout..

hope this helps.

P.S. I would like to thank the many helpful people of Boston that came to our rescue and pointed us in the right direction as we stood staring at maps trying to get our barrings and to the girls who got us behind home plate!....you're the greatest!

Norman B. Leventhal Map Center
Art Museums, History Museums, Speciality Museums
John F. Kennedy Presidential Museum & Library
Libraries, History Museums, Speciality Museums
The Paul Revere House
Historic Sites, History Museums
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Boston

Wow! You packed it all in! Thanks for the trip report, especially on the Go Boston Card. A lot of people ask on this forum if the should purchase one. I think we will refer them your post if they ask about it. I am pleased that your 9 and 12 year old enjoyed the Boston Children's Museum. I am frequently recommending it to older children since it was renovated and added more exhibits. Thanks Again.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Boston

"Then to the Ava Stewart Gardner museum..."

;-)

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
324 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Boston

Isabella, forgive me...I keep doing that...

We're here in NC and there is an Ava Gardner museum down the road in Smithfield...

My exhaustion has caught up with me

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Boston

That was the cutest typo I've seen in a long time!

You really got your money's worth from those GoBoston cards. They should use you in their ads! Nice report.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Boston

How did you like the Midtown? People on this forum are always looking for reasonably priced, centrally located hotels. Since this fits the bill I'm wondering how your experience there was.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Boston

great trip report and really well-done tour of Boston - sounds like you did all the right stuff!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Boston

Great use of the GoCard. Wasn't there a forum question in the last 24 hours regarding the GoCard and whether or not it was worth it? i think you've proven it is worth it and then some. Well done.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
324 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Boston

The Midtown was great for us...we ony paid $179.00 for a week many were around $500.00 a night. The room was clean and large..... AC a little weak I heard some complain of weak internet access...but we left our laptops at home for this trip....no safe in the room ...they have a centrally located lock room.... fewer amenities...but we didn't need any....We had asked for a room in the back of the hotel away from the road to avoid noise because I have read people placed near the street hear passers by all night.. We had a good experience but we knew what we were getting into ....we wanted to save money on the room that we only passed out in and spend it on other things (like all at Fenway Park - and Legal Seafoods - Whew!) The location was fantastic....my review is pending....they want me to condense it - imagine that....I wrote too much! ;o)

I researched on this site before going about the GoBoston card and had read some responses but not so much with family iteneraries....so that's why I submitted that long forum....

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Boston

Oh my goodness. Thanks so much for posting the trip details and outlining your savings with the Go Boston Card. Lots of great information. I'm curious as to the Children's Museum since I haven't been there since the reopen -- what is the Japanese house? Is it a permanent exhibit? And what activities wowed your 9 and 12 year olds? Glad you had a good time at Fenway (more than once!). Unfortunately, you run in to some folks that put a damper on the game and others that enhance the experience.

michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Boston

Hello. We have also purchased the 5 day Go Boston Cards and will soon be visiting Boston. Regarding the usage of your cards, did you find it necessary to make advance reservations on any of the activities you did? I have been wondering if it was necessary (and how to book in advance with the GoBoston card) to make advance reservations for the whale watch cruise, Freedom Trail or the Liberty Tall Ship. Your itinerary sounds great, pretty close to what we are hoping to do.