We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boston parking

jennifer.rohrerwalsh...
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
boston parking

We're attending a conference in Nov. in downtown Boston and have discovered how $$$ it is to park our car. As we don't need the car during our conference days, could we park it cheaply (or free!) at some mass transportation site and commute to downtown for a few days and then, retrieve our car to drive home? If so, which would be the best options?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boston parking

As far as I know, you have to pay for parking at virtually every station of Boston's transit system, the MBTA. Rates vary slightly. For example, Alewife Station (mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…) and Quincy Adams Stations (mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…) charge $5 per day, and you can park overnight for up to 7 days. Riverside Station (mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…) charges $3.75 per day, with a 7-day limit. Which of these you choose would depend on how you will approach (and leave) the Boston area. Alewife is at the eastern end of Route 2 and is therefore most convenient if you are approaching from the north or northwest. Quincy Adams is at the intersection of Routes 3 and 93, and is your easiest choice if you are coming from the south. Riverside is near the intersection of Routes 95 (or 128) and 90, so it is most convenient if you are coming from the west.

Another option would be to find an unrestricted (free) street parking spot in an outer neighborhood. (They do exist if you get far enough from central Boston and Cambridge.) Such spots exist in the less central parts of outer neighborhoods like Brighton, Roslindale, and Dorchester. They also exist in less central parts of cities north of Boston, such as Medford and Malden, somewhat near the MBTA Orange Line. However, you will be a longish walk or a bus ride from an MBTA station, and you have to have a sense of the neighborhoods, as some of them are sketchy and you don't want your car or your person to be the target of crime.

jennifer.rohrerwalsh...
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boston parking

Thank you for this information. I appreciate the time you took to help us out. We're frustrated having to pay so much for parking when we won't be using the car while we're there. Best, JRW

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: boston parking

MarkoBoston makes a keen observation about the free parking spot. They actually do exist in downtown Boston as well. At one time there was some blue law requiring each block to have one. They are not so visible but still exist. There is one in front of The Langham behind the last meter and in front of where the cab stand starts. At least the last time I checked. They may still exist on Newbury. There are no signs saying free parking but it is the absence of the signs which indicate one.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boston parking

yes parking is expensive in Boston which is why we always recommend leave the car at home. A good option, as mentioned, is to park at one of the MBTA lots and take the T in from there. Where are you coming from or staying? We may be able to better direct you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boston parking

I respectfully disagree w/ markoboston. Do NOT park your car in an outlying neighborhood for a few days and expect it to still be there when you return. Even if the street is not marked "resident only" many places have ordinances about cars that don't move for 48 hours and will ticket and/or TOW and it can get quite costly to get your car out of the tow-lot. And if you are from out of state, the non-Mass license plate will stick out like a sore thumb and make it easy for people to see that your car hasn't moved and complain about it.

Alewife or Quincy Adams will be fine. I'm not familiar with Riverside.

Another alternative, again, depending on where you are coming from, might be to use the airport off-site lots and then pick up the T at the airport. Park,Shuttle and Fly is $16/24 hours when you print the coupon from their website: www.parkshuttlefly.com.

Another one is "Paul's Lo Cost Airport Parking". I can't find their rates, but their phone number is (617) 561-0156

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: boston parking

The spots I were describing are only good during the day and not over night.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boston parking

Are you by any chance north of Boston? An option for you is Newburyport's C&J parking lot that has free parking, it would be ideal leaving it there for only a few days, it would get you to South Station any way! You could get to the convention center from here in no time.

You just have to work it out with the ticketing agent for valet options at the C&J parking lot in Newburyport and it's actually no big deal with them. It's extremely convenient to leave your car here too. Nothing that I know of ever has happened here for as long as we've been using this mode of transportation. Just as long as you work it out with the agent they have at their office on the grounds for your parking spot.

Check their site under FAQ's and click on parking questions to see about it:

www.ridecj.com

Just another thought for you....

Good luck!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boston parking

Here are two recent posts on the subject.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k204795…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k205078…

9. Re: boston parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 08:20