We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pre book b and b's or just turn up?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kinloss scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
pre book b and b's or just turn up?

looking at web, rooms start from $85 we are quite limited on the $$$!!!! so does anyone have any views on pre booking will it get really expensive if we leave to last min or will it stay the same ( we really dont know where we are ging to end up)

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

$85 a night on Cape Cod or Maine coast, in August?

That's cheap, and I think it unlikely you'll save money by just turning up.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

I would be afraid of not finding any vacancies leaving things to the last minute... more people in the US are not flying for vacations b/c of the price of jet fuel, which drives up the popularity of local vacation spots here...

If I were you, I'd make reservations. Also, 85- is rock-bottom for a decent place. I'd grab it. You wo'nt find cheaper. most decent places are 150++++

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

Where are you looking to go? If you are charging your expenses remember the conversion rate works greatly in your favor. Are you renting a car? To get any idea of rates and availability you should have a general idea of the areas you would like to see.

kinloss scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

We have booked a car, planning to "do" cape cod and rhode island?

cheers for replying x

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

Definitely prebook. B&Bs are generally prebooked here in the US. In Ireland and Italy we found we didn't need to prebook B&Bs but if I were to go back again I think I would just for less hassle. I would imagine Scotland is similar that prebooking isn't necessary due to the large number of B&Bs and the B&B review and guide books that are available and town visitor centers that will book for you. Here in the US there aren't as many visitor centers that will book for you as you are probably use to. That is why it is a good idea to book.

There are many ways to get inexpensive lodging (search this forum and you'll see there is lodging of every price).

kinloss scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

Thank you for post

Where would you suggest? We're landing Boston 4th Aug and have pre-booked 2 nights in boston and not sure where to go !! Love shopping and have thought about Wretham (?) outlet centre then onto Rhode Island then Cape Cod but they are huge places so not sure about North Cape South Islands etc, could tell anyone where to go in scotland!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

josephine - have you driven before and comfortable driving here in the USA on the opposite side you are use to? After your stay in Boston (don't rent a car while in Boston!) you could rent a car and drive south and visit Cape Cod / RI. You could take a trip to Wrentham on your way south.

Some places of interested in RI are Providence and Newport RI also there are small coastal towns like Bristol, RI that are nice.

Cape Cod has different towns that have their own personalities and what they offer. Some have good beaches, some nightlife, or restaurants, shopping etc. It is more expensive to stay over Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket (the two islands off Cape Cod) and you would have to deal with the ferries. There are plenty of places to stay and enjoy on Cape Cod depending on your interests. You could do a day trip to one of the islands if interested versus staying over. May be read about Cape Cod a little and post back with questions...

8. Re: pre book b and b's or just turn up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 18:16