We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

I am gathering that it is best to stay in an outer Boston location and just take public transportation to downtown Boston to see the sights.

Being totally unfamiliar with Boston, can you give me suggestions as to any locations with public transportation to downtown (not too far away)?

Thank you!

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Actually, the most ideal is to stay in Downtown Boston and leaving your car at home.

How long do plan to visit? Are you planning to tour other places in Massachusetts or New England? What is your budget for hotels?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
New England
New England
United States
Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Hello -

So far my tentative itinerary:

Fly into Boston, stay in the area for 2 nights.

Drive to Newport, RI (1 night)

Drive to Cape Cod (1 night)

Drive to Maine (not sure of location, but looking for oceanfront beach) (3 nights)

Drive back to Boston to fly home

Renting a car for one week is cheaper than renting for 5 days and its more convenient to just pick it up at the airport when we arrive.

A downtown Boston location would be fine, but probably out of our budget (trying to stay under $200 per night). Plus I'm sure we'd have to pay parking for the rental car.

Thanks for any assistance.

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Hi,

You gathered wrong. It's best to stay downtown where you can get a good experience of Boston and be conveniently-located to all the sights you want.

As far as renting a car, you say it's more expensive for 5 days than a week? That doesn't seem likely. Have you tried travelzoo.com, to check the rates? AAA members get discounts at Hertz as well, which may work out better for you.

As I said in my other response to you, Priceline is a good way to go, and there have been many reports of people getting nice downtown hotels for well under $200/night.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

How many people will you be traveling with?

I recently stayed on a houseboat in Boston's Charlestown neighborhood and the parking was reasonable (actually we were fortunate enough to have free parking) You might want to check it out, we booked through www.bedandbreakfast.com and they are currently offering a $50 rebate if you book online for a least two nights..

If you stay in Middletown in RI there are many chain hotels and it might be cheaper than staying in Newport.

I would suggest Ogunquit for your visit to Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Maine
Maine
United States
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

I just got back from 4 nights at the La Quinta Somerville and the hotel was great. The breakfast in the morning gets a little crowded, but I had no other complaints. The hotel has a van that goes up to the train station on the hour, until 9:00PM. Other than that, just get the phone number for a cab, it's only a few dollars from the train station. You could walk, but we only did that once and that was enough.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Can you rent the car for the week but pick it up only when you need it? Parking it in the city costs...

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

Based on the fact that you are going south from Boston, I would look to stay somewhere on the South Shore. There must be people on TA who know the South Shore (I don't particularly). You might look at hotels in Quincy (just a guess).

I live on the North Shore, and thus believe that the South Shore is inhabited by cannibals, or so they tell me.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

I would stay in downtown Boston for the 2 nights you'll be here. Check the parking rates for the nights you'll leave your car in Boston versus the rental for 5 days. If the parking is something like $24 a night then this might cancel out the savings of renting for 5 days.

In general this forum only suggests staying outside the city if:

1) you want to visit outside suburbs such as Concord/Lexington, etc. which aren't easily accessible by public transportation

2) you have a conference, business trip etc. that requires you to be outside the city

3) you really need a super budget accommodation and you haven't been able to find anything in the price range in Boston

Some suggestions on your itinerary:

You may want to skip the Cape Cod for 1 day. It probably isn't worth it to stay only 1 night on Cape Cod. I would suggest staying 2 nights in Newport instead. It will be easier finding lodging in Newport for 2 nights. Lodging in Newport can be pricey but if you go mid week you can often get better deals. Or you can go to one of the chain hotels in Middleton RI (right next door) where there are more bargains since you'll have a car to drive to Newport.

Suggestions on Car Rental:

Even if you make a reservation with one particular rental place, check back the week before you go to see if the rates have changed (often lower or the websites have deals that you have to enter a code from the deal). Check all the car rental places. You can always cancel. AAA or other professional groups like IEEE, alumni clubs, etc. have discounts. Check if your car insurance covers you for rentals. It should if you live in the US and rent in the US. Most car insurance policies don't cover you if you rent internationally. But check before you go to know what is covered and not covered.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,238 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

You have a lot of good suggestions about downtown Boston,but i would prefer staying at the Quincy Marriott its a great hotel you can park your car there free and they have a shuttle to take you to the Quincy T station,and also if you are going to the Cape and Newport route 93 is right at your hotel,some of my friends from out of town always stay at the Quincy Marriott because its so close to the highway and they love it.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
10. Re: suburban Boston hotel close to public trans to downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 21:18