We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need major help with itinerary!

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need major help with itinerary!

There are 3 of us - myself, husband and 12 year old son.

We will fly into Boston on a Sunday and out the following Sunday.

Planning 2 nights in Boston.

Would like to then rent a car and stay at least 4 nights at a beachfront hotel (maybe Gloucester, maybe Cape Cod....any other suggestions?)

Things we might like to see --

Newport, RI

Mystic Seaport

definitely Plimouth Plantation

Help!

Thank you,

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

when are you travelling? what is your budget? how much per night are you looking to spend for accomodations?

don't panic. major help is on the way!

Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

First week in August (3rd-10th).

$200 or so per night. Open to pricelining!

As far as 'trip budget' - we have none! We will pay admissions to must-see spots, but definitely planning on a lot of downtime on the beach to just hang out.

Would also like to do a whale watch!

Thanks!!

Kris

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Hi, other than Gloucester everything you've listed in south of Boston, so I would suggest Cape Cod for your beach experience. You could leave Boston, head to Plimoth Plantation spend the day there and then go to the Cape. Aftering leaving the Cape you can head to Newport or Mystic - if you are spending 2 nights in Boston & 4 on the beach, I don't think you'll have time to do both. Personally, I reccommend Newport - I think there is more to do & see there than Mystic Seaport. I would also suggest not renting a car until you are ready to leave Boston, you don't need one in the city and it will cost you a lot to park.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Plimoth Plantation
Plimoth Plantation
2,021 Reviews
Plymouth, MA
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Mystic Seaport
Mystic Seaport
2,701 Reviews
Mystic, CT
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

I haven't been to Mystic Seaport in over 40 years but I remember it as being wonderful. If you are interested in American History, and particularly Maritime History, it is a must see.

I agree however that Gloucester is the wrong direction. :-)

Plimouth Plantation is awesome.

There must be some beachfront place you can stay on Cape Cod. We used to go to a really inexpensive motel in Truro that was on the bayside - nothing fancy at all but we loved it for what it was. The better beaches are on the ocean side however, but most of those beaches are the National Seashore (ergo no beachfront property).

I'm sure someone can recommend something nice like in Chatham or something.

Mentioned in this post
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Evergreen Park...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Thank you - driving south from Boston to Plimouth, then the Cape sounds like a good plan. It seems like many of the beachfront places are quite pricey, though. Any suggestions for a no frills, but clean, motel on the Cape? If there is such a thing!

thanks,

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

The place we used to go every year (until we bought a second home) was called the Sea Surf Motel in North Truro - if it still exists under that name they don't have a website, as far as I can tell. It was pretty basic (little kitchenette kind of thing).

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Plimoth Plantation will definitely be fun! You can ask the Wampanoags (sp?) on their daily life, how they felt about the Pilgrims, et cetera. You can also ask the Pilgrims questions- and they do stuff in front of you! Such as cutting wood and carving stuff. Or tending a garden and taking care of a goat. And their gift shop is so cool! Weaved baskets, furs, feathers, rock candy, everything cranberry, maple products- they're all there! Your son will probably find the furs and candies interesting. There is also a small restaurant there too where there are things such as indian pudding and dippin dots, fyi.

Just to let you know, the Plymouth Rock is going under renovation, but there is a photo of it. And Mayflower 2 is fine right now.

You also might want to visit the Battleship Cove in Fall River if your son finds that type of stuff interesting.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Plimoth Plantation
Plimoth Plantation
2,021 Reviews
Plymouth, MA
Plymouth Rock
Plymouth Rock
1,838 Reviews
Plymouth, MA
Battleship Cove
Battleship Cove
533 Reviews
Fall River, MA
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Hi,

You might want to consider staying in the South County area of Rhode Island. In my opinion, the beaches there are nicer and it's generally less crowded and slightly less touristy than the Cape.

There is a very pretty Victorian beachfront community called Watch Hill, RI. It's in the far, far southwest corner of the state, right next to CT. It would be a perfect place to stay if you like the ocean and beachfront vacationing. It's simple from there to get to Mystic (probably a 15 minute drive), or Newport (probably a 20 minute drive), or to the Cape (probably an hour or so). Plimouth Plantation, you could see that too, maybe on the way out of Boston, heading down to Rhode Island. You can also take an easy day trip to Block Island from here, which is one of the prettiest places in New England.

Here's some information on the hotels and B&B's there:

http://www.visitwatchhill.com/index.htm

watchhillinn.com/general_info/about_watch.htm

http://www.riparks.com/misquamicut.htm

Mentioned in this post
Rhode Island
Rhode Island
United States
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Block Island
Block Island
Rhode Island
New England
New England
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Newport is a good idea. Places will be tough to get, I would post on the Newport Forum.

The Castle Hill Inn is a favorite of mine.

401-849-3800

…citysearch.com/profile/9052719/newport_ri/c…

Mystic is also very nice. If this is busy, try Stonington, Ct. This is a little more quiet but just as nice.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need major help with itinerary!

Super huge bargains are to be had right now for the Hyatt Regency in Newport (Goat Island) on hotwire.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island