We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packable gift that says "Boston"

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Packable gift that says "Boston"

I'm looking for a gift idea for friends in the Midwest who plan to host me. If I could, I'd buy a dozen cannoli from Mike's and pack em in my carryon, but they don't do well over time and there's that squish factor.

I realize I could always stop at a bakery/gourmet place in their city and pick something up, but I was hoping to bring something quintessentially Boston...

Ideas?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Here is a link for an article on just this topic with suggestions:

…about.com/od/shopping/tp/Boston-Gifts.htm

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Something that is easy to find in Boston (or I think should be) that to me, is quintessentially Boston is a Revere Bowl.

When I used to live in Boston it was a gift I often gave, especially to people from other countries who were not familiar with it.

I am not sure where to buy them now...

But here is a link to its origins:

http://www.neos-eyes.org/RevereBowlInfo.htm

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

I took a look at that first link - Cape cod potato chips you can get practically anywhere on the east coast. I'm surprised they didn't mention saltwater taffy.

A super-local treat would be a bunch of hermits. They keep well and if they smush, it's not the end of the world. You'd have to go to a real local bakery for them, though.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Hi,

Mike's Pastry will ship cannoli anywhere in the US. They also have a cannoli "Kit" which they ship, that allows you to make the cannoli yourself, from their ingredients.

It's all on their website: http://www.mikespastry.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Voyageruse - We too gave the Revere Bowl as a gift. Several years we had German exchange students stay with us (3 over 3 years). Also we gave local honey and real maple syrup as these were hard to get in Germany.

Other ideas:

How about a New England themed cookbook? Or a gift basket that you could make up with some gourmet items (special olive oils, cheese, etc. from North End market). I guess these two suggestions would only be good if the person enjoys cooking.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

I had no idea Revere bowls were such a popular gift - it's exactly what I always give on such an occasion.

Another thing you can do (much more "Boston" than cannoli) would be to bring live Lobsters. I would hope there is a way to bring these on board a flight these days - maybe now they sell live Lobsters on the other side of security at Logan.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Thank you SO MUCH. You are all so helpful.. I hadn't even thought of a Revere Bowl or hermits. Maybe I'll make up a gift basket with an assortment of stuff. Thanks!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

-A gift basket with a few nautical items from the Christmas Tree Shop, a New England or Boston Calendar, a bag of Cape Cod Chips, along with a gift certificate from an online shipping place like Legal Seafood, Yankee lobster, James Hook and Company or another online company.

- Does your host have children? You can make up a basket with the "Make Way for Duckling" Book", a few rubber duckies, "Good Night, Boston" book, and a few of the lobster shape candies.

- What about a Wicked Pissah T shirt :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

I think a small gift basket made up of many of Boston trademarks would be a very nice gift. You can include some lobsters and chips!

Good luck with your gift shopping!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packable gift that says "Boston"

Apparently Legal Seafoods at Terminal B now packs Lobster in dry ice for shipping. It used to be that this would be a carry-on, but I'm guessing nowawadays most people check their live lobsters.