We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to New England--Part Two

Ozark, Missouri
Level Contributor
507 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
First time to New England--Part Two

Thanks to one of you wonderful local experts, we arrived at Back Bay and knew exactly how to ride the T to our hotel in Cambridge. (We bought the 7-day pass--what a deal! For a total of $30, the both of us went anywhere we needed on the T and took the ferry over to Charlestown.) The T was fairly easy to navigate and worked beautifully for us. It was well used--many times the trains were standing room only.

Once in Cambridge, we checked into the wonderful Hotel Marlowe. We were given an upgrade to a room that had an amazing view of Boston. The entire exterior wall was a window that looked out at the river and the skyline--just beautiful. That made the tiny inconvenience of staying in Cambridge well worth it. The hotel is very, very nice--a great Kimpton property, in case you are familiar with them.

Our first night in Boston! I decided, as we had just arrived, we would stay in Cambridge and visit Harvard Square. I knew my husband would find Mr. Bartley's amusing so I chose that as our first meal in Boston. Imagine my disappointment when we (and about 50 other folks) arrived to find it closed for the week. Oh well. We ended up at John Harvard's where we shared a burger and onion rings. It was quite good. We walked around Harvard after that, then went to Finale for dessert. We shared the Chocolate Infatuation--wow, is that a lot of chocolate. We can eat with the best of them, but we could not finish this. Finale is a fun, relaxing way to end an evening. Service here was especially good. After that, it was back to the hotel for some sleep.

Boston in a day--part three...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

Suzy .. thanks for posting. Loved reading days 1 and 2 ... can't wait to hear more.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

So sorry that Bartley's was closed! I used to work in Harvard Square and the week they closed for vacation was the longest week, indeed! John Harvard's is a great runner up and Finale can't be beat. Who knew champagne and chocolate were such perfect companions!

Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Marlowe.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

Isn't the Marlowe Hotel nice! Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,993 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

Good day 2 TR so far glad you got to see Harvaaaard Sq.

6. Re: First time to New England--Part Two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:34