We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay just Outside of Boston?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Stay just Outside of Boston?

We're attending a friends wedding on the cape at the end of September and want to spend the last 2 days of our trip shopping in Boston. Most of the 'decent' hotels are around a £100 per night (which we're reluctant to pay) and we'll have a car and probably have to pay a fair bit for parking. The car was booked as part of our fly / drive deal and is not due to be returned until we fly home. Can anyone recommend a hotel just outside the city to stay in? Maybe one where we could catch a train or bus easily into downtown Boston for shopping restaurants etc?

Thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

After attending the wedding, you could drive up to Wrentham Village Outlet shops (Wrentham, Mass.) and stay a night in the area. This is a popular destination especially for overseas visitors with lots of outlet shops.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

Do a search in the box above for "hotels on the T".

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

Mariott in Quincy. Free parking. On the way from the Cape and near the red line.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

I think Sedum37 has the right idea. Most visitors from the UK want go to the outlets in Wrentham anyway. They are a short drive up Rte 495 from the Cape. You could either stay at the Residence Inn in Franklin, which is practically at the train station (which takes you to Boston's South Station) or you could just shop for the day in Wrentham and continue in to Boston and stay there until you leave for home.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

Wrentham could be a good place to go if you are mainly looking for bargains on fashionable clothes and not much else. Apart from the discount stores, however, there is almost nothing there. It is a collection of discount stores surrounded by parking lots in the countryside, and quite far from Boston or any other real town. If you are looking for more of a city shopping experience, with cafes and interesting restaurants, then you really do need to travel to Boston, even if you don't stay there. You will still pay less than you would in London for most items of comparable value. I agree with the suggestion of Quincy as a place to stay. You can take the Red Line (tube) into Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

markoboston is right that there isn't much nightlife, restaurants or things to see in Wrentham. I do think it is worth stopping at since you'll have the rental car, many visitors seem from UK/Ireland seem to enjoy shopping there, the driving there is easy and parking is fine (free!) etc. If you get an early start from the Cape then drive to Wrentham you can shop all day, put your purchases in the car, etc. then later in the afternoon continue on to your final destination. Just check out the Wrentham outlet store listing to see if there are stores you're interested in:

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

I'm not up to date on the Pound vs. Dollar exchange rate, but we found a Holiday Inn Express not too far out of Boston for $104 a night through discounthotels.com

Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

If I had a choice between going into Boston or going to the Wrentham outlets, I would go into Boston. I was totally unimpressed with the Wrentham outlets, heck I'd rather go to the South Shore Mall. I didn't think they had a very good selection of stores, or very good prices for that matter. I think you'd do just as well at any mall, especially, as others have pointed out, there is nothing else to do in Wrentham.

The Hampton Inn in Braintree might be a good choice, they have a shuttle to the Braintree T station or it's a short drive in your car to the station where there is a large parking deck although there is a fee to park.

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

Hi and welcome to the USA. Hope you enjoy your stay on the Cape, which everyone loves. If you shop at Wrentham Outlets, which we saw a program on tv about all the Irish citizens coming here for bargains during "Christmas" then this is the place to shop. However, as a place to stay, I recommend staying right inside the city at a place on Newbury St. called: Newbury Guest House. I've included the trip advisor URL. Since it is smack dab in the middle of all of the action, you will love it here. (I have no affiliation with them, just saw it one day and checked out a couple rooms for friends who may be visiting from abroad, like you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60745-d1114…

You can probably find a cheap place to park your car until you leave, but ask at your B&B.

You'll be able to walk and use the tube to some of the best restaurants and nightclubs the Hub has to offer. You'll be in the heart of the city and after the Cape, you'll probably love this. You didn't mention your ages, but some reason I'm thinking you're young (20-30-40) and into nightlife.

Anyhoo, check it out and enjoy!

Also, any shopping that didn't get done at Wrentham

can get done here. Many, many shops, (Armani, Hermes and Vintage stuff for bargain) right THERE.

Have fun!

10. Re: Stay just Outside of Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 21:19