We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Independence/Castle Hill

Stratford, CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Independence/Castle Hill

My husband loves forts. Is this one worth going to? I know they offer tours on Sat. How about any other forts in Boston?

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Tuckamore Aviation
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Boston Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

Castle Island is popular. I haven't toured the fort so I can't comment.

There's Forts on the Boston Harbor Islands. (part of hte Natioal Park Service). There's Fort Warren or George's Island and a smaller one (can't remember the name) on Lovell's Island. You read George's by ferry from Long Wharf then you take a smaller 'shuttle boat' to Lovell's. I don't know if the other Islands have forts ... I haven't been to most of htem, but it might be worth researching.

Mentioned in this post
George's Island
George's Island
153 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lovell's Island
Lovell's Island
2 Reviews
Boston, MA
Long Wharf, Boston
Long Wharf, Boston
69 Reviews
Boston, MA
Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

I'm no Fort expert but I really enjoyed Castle island. I would have to say YES it's worth going to. It really is a neat location.

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

The one on George's island is great - it's a nice ride out to the island and you can poke around inside. You should save that for a nice, hot day. I haven't been to fort independence.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

The fort on Castle "Island" would probably be interesting to someone who was interested in the location with respect to its history, etc., but as far as I know, it hasn't been excavated to be suitable for tours.

On the other hand, the fort on George's Island really is worth the trip... it's open for exploration, and lots of people (even companies) will bring picnic lunches, and play ball or frisbee in the center of the fort.

Another fort not too far away is Fort Sewall in Marblehead... about 20 miles north of Boston (though it's a bit off the major highways)

http://www.gloversregiment.org/events.html

If his interest extends to "castles", check out Hammond's Castle Museum in Magnolia. It's further from Boston (about 35 miles, but it's easier to get to off major roads (Rte 128 to Rte 127)

There is some sort of old fort in Cambridge, along the Charles, but I've never been there, and from what I've heard, it's simple earthenwork mounds, rather than a stone construction.

cambridgema.gov/Historic/fortwashingtonhome.…

Mentioned in this post
George's Island
George's Island
153 Reviews
Boston, MA
Marblehead
Marblehead
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

I'm not sure what jsboston means by excavated for tours. The fort is right there in the middle of the park. Here is info from the park website...http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metroboston/castle.htm

"Fort Independence and Castle Island are on the State and National Registers of Historic Places, and the fort is a National Historic Landmark. Fort Independence is open from Memorial Day to Columbus Day, hours vary. Fort tours are conducted by the Castle Island Association in the summer months and there is interpretive signage for self-guided tours. The principal program theme, the History of Castle Island, stresses the role of the fort in harbor defense. Please call the Harbor Region Office at (617) 727-5290 for information and school programming."

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

Fort Washington is basically a little grassy lot tucked away in Cambridgeport.

Go to see Fort Warren on George's Island. The boat trip is a lot of fun. But be careful of the ghost !

suite101.com/article.cfm/…62762

Mentioned in this post
Fort Warren
Fort Warren
22 Reviews
Boston, MA
George's Island
George's Island
153 Reviews
Boston, MA
Stratford, CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

Thanks for the replies! We went here yesterday...with temps in the 90s. The breeze made it doable. All volunteers give the tours and it was very informative & interesting. The hour long tour is free, and you are not allowed to walk in the fort without a tour. Would have preferred more time inside the fort, but we'd still recommend it.

Beautiful views!

8. Re: Fort Independence/Castle Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 06:24