We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peabody to Braintree

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
331 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Peabody to Braintree

I looked up the route from Peabody to Braintree on Google and it said to take Highway 1 down past Chelsea to I-93. Would this route have terrible traffic going through Boston? I looked at the map and see that you can take I-95 around and down to where it meets I-93 and then over to Braintree. I'm sure this would be a longer way to get there but maybe not so busy. What do you think?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peabody to Braintree

what time of day and day of the week are you travelling? that will certainly be a factor on any of the routes you take.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peabody to Braintree

I have used both routes. Lately it gets more dificult to predict traffic. I-93 is the shortest distance.

Braintree is the furthest point on the 1-95 around.

I would suggest 1-93.

In the morning during the week, once thru Boston the road loses a lane and there is a little back up.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
331 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peabody to Braintree

MAHJ: This would be on Sept 19th which is a Friday - sometime in the afternoon - probably not the best time to be driving past there.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Peabody to Braintree

Now you need to me more specific as to time. I wouldn't attempt it either way after 4 and probably would think twice even at a time after 3. How about in the morning? Then just take 93 South through the city. It's much shorter than going around 95/128.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peabody to Braintree

Yup not the best time. New England traffic like the weather can change in the blink of an eye. Sometimes it takes me 40 minutes from north of the city to Braintree and other times it's more like an hour and 40 minutes. One suggestion would be to just listen to the traffic report to help you make a choice (wbz 1030 a.m. has traffic on the 'threes')or if you have access to a computer my new favorite traffic connection is at whdh.com. You plug in your starting address and destination and it gives you a couple of options based on traffic at that time. My leanings are toward just going route 1 to 93. It is shorter distance wise and if you are travelling on a Friday afternoon you'll hit traffic no matter what route you take.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
331 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peabody to Braintree

I probably planned this wrong - Staying in Gloucester on Wednesday night and planning on a whale watching boat on Thursday then spending the night in Peabody.

Thought we'd look around Salem on Friday before going down to Braintree. If we can find enough to do on Friday we could wait until 6:00 p.m. or so to head to Braintree - would the traffic start to clear by then? Any suggestions for things to do in Salem area or anywhere else up there???

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Peabody to Braintree

I would not be too concerned about variables you cannot control. Traffic on a summer Friday can start as early as noon and ease out by 6:00 p.m.

I would take off as soon as you are ready.

8. Re: Peabody to Braintree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 10:22