We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

I've secured a hotel for 5 full days in Boston Oct 1&2...then a tour of New England..back to Boston on the 10th for 3 more full days... Day Trips or overnight somewhere... Rockport , Salem. Glouster? or the Cape have an opporunity to stay in Sanwich is it worth a day or stay north of Boston any suggestions much appreciated! i'm an avid photographer

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

What's your criteria? What kind of things do you want to do or see?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

Is the 'tour of New England' an organized tour or on your own? When in your trip are you looking for day trips - at the end?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

Ok will try to give some help. In your private message to me you said that you'll have Oct 10 to 13 free. So lets go on that you are interested in ideas for 3 full days. A few more questions, post back here for other people to chime in:

1) Are you already booked to stay in Boston for those 3 days/nights and want to do day trips?

2) Will you have a car?

3) Are you interested in photographing nature or intersting things found in cities? (myself I like to photograph door knockers and interesting door fronts when in cities).

For ocean scenerary, Rockport is the perfect place. You can get there via the commuter rail from Boston. Rockport has art galleries, ocean views, shops. If you have a car, you can travel to Halibut State Park located outside the Rockport down area for great photographs. Nearby in Ipswich, Crane Beach is favored by bird watchers. See this link:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41626-d48…

If you stayed in Rockport, with a rental car you could easily cover the Cape Ann area (that includes Gloucester, Ipswich, Plum Island, etc.)

In Gloucester there are a couple of historic mansions to tour on the coast - Hammond Castle and Beauport House and Museum. I particularily like Beauport:

historicnewengland.org/visit/…beauport.htm

Salem would be great if you are interested in historical sites. In addition to their witch sites there is the Peabody Essex Museum, and sites dealing with the colonial history and seafaring history of Salem. In October Salem can be quite busy with all the Halloween related activities and traffic is heavy so not the best time to go if you aren't interested in those places.

4. Re: 1st time visiting Boston Ideas??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:16