We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

It's our first visit to Boston area.

We fly London to Boston on THursday 11th Sept, landing at 11pm.

Thursday 11th - Stay at Holiday Inn Logan Aiport

Friday 12th - pick up hire car. Drive to Hyannis Cape Cod, taking a scenic route via Providence and Newport.

Staying in Hyannis from Friday 12th thru to Monday 15th. Whale Watching off Provincetown on Saturday 13th

Monday 15th - Drive from Hyannis to Stowe,Vermont. Stopping for lunch en route, maybe Manchester, New Hampshire.

Monday 15th-Thursday 18th - Topnotch Resort, Stowe

Thursday 18th - Drive back to Boston via somewhere north of Boston on coast for a night? Hampton Beach?

Friday 18th - back to Boston - get rid of hire car

Weekend in Boston

Monday night fly home

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

Getting from Boston to Hyannis is mainly by highway - trying to get there via local roads will take forever. And you're really not seeing much but suburban towns. I would skip Providence; I don't know if there're really all that much to see. I would go to Newport, especially if you're planning on doing a tour of the mansions.

You could take Rt. 28 from the Bourne Bridge to Hyannis; there are some pretty stretches along there.

The drive from Hyannis to Stowe is going to be a long one; it's about 3.5 - 4 hours from Boston then tack on another 1.5 hours from Hyannis. Topnotch is a great choice for Stowe; make sure you drive through the Notch and take one of the ski gondolas up to the top of Mt. Mansfield (if they're running).

Hampton Beach is a fun choice for a beach stop; it has plenty of things going on and has that old fashioned honky-tonk feeling.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

beansandcod has some good points. Agree to skip Providence on the 12th. Newport RI has more than enough to do for one day so go directly to Newport RI. In Newport forum I am sure you can read up on the fabulous mansions to visit, cliff walk to do, shopping, harbor cruises, etc. lots and lots to do there.

The drive from Hyannis to Stowe will be a killer (long...). Concord NH would put you about half way there. Manchester NH also possible. Manchester is an old mill town. I worked there one time and it had some lunch places but it was ages ago so can't recommend anything recent. Concord NH is the capital so may more restaurants? Don't know the restaurants as much.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

Actually, I think that Providence is worth a stop. Parking the car would let you walk around for a couple of hours. The area along the rivers and canals downtown has some charming architecture (gilded domes, brick steeples, and the like) from the 19th century and makes a pleasant walk. So does Benefit St., a couple of blocks east, lined with its 18th-century wooden houses. So does the Brown University campus, a 10-minute walk steeply uphill from downtown Providence. Brown University is a fairly typical Ivy League college (the American equivalent of Oxbridge), with stately architecture from the 19th-century set around pleasant green commons. There are lots of decent, affordable restaurants along Thayer St., just east of the Brown campus. In fact, you might try parking near Thayer St., walking downhill to the downtown area, then back uphill by way of Benefit St., across the Brown campus, and back to Thayer St. for lunch.

This would be a different experience from Newport, which is also worthwhile. The main attractions of Newport are the historic waterfront, with its mostly rather expensive restaurants, and the oceanfront mansions.

You probably can't do justice to both Providence and Newport in a single day as a stop along the way from Boston to Hyannis. I would pick one or the other for a midday exploration and lunch. I can actually recommend a somewhat scenic route that would take you through Providence to Newport. Make your way from Logan Airport to Providence using the standard route along I-95 recommended by Google Maps. Then exit I-95 in downtown Providence for I-195. Cross the bridge over the Seekonk River (with a view of Providence Harbor). Then take Exit 7 for Route 114 south. Route 114 will take you through the pretty town of Bristol, Rhode Island, and then over the Mount Hope Bridge onto Aquidneck Island. You will pass through the towns of Portsmouth and Middletown on your way to Newport, at the southern end of the island.

Staying in Hyannis is fine, but it is the least attractive part of Cape Cod. Make sure to explore some of the other towns, especially those at the east end of the Cape, such as Orleans, Chatham, Wellfleet, and Provincetown.

On your long drive from Hyannis to Stowe, you suggest stopping for lunch in Manchester, New Hampshire. Manchester is kind of grim. I would stop somewhere else. Concord, New Hampshire, would be a nicer choice.

If you want to stop along the coast north of Boston, Hampton Beach would be okay, but it would be similar in look and feel to Hyannis. What might be more interesting would be to stay in a place that would give you a feel for the mostly rocky coast to the north of Boston. Rockport, Massachusetts, would be a bit out of your way, but would be an interesting contrast. It also has a few art galleries and nice restaurants. If you can't find anything affordable in Rockport itself, you might try neighboring Gloucester, which is still a working fishing port, and therefore grittier, but with some character.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

I like your thinking markoboston! I agree 100%. Your itinerary sounds wonderful. Newport and Providence are both great for different reasons,but too much for one day!

5. Re: Our trip itinerary - what do you thnk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:22