We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shaker Furnitur?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southern Germany
Level Contributor
976 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Shaker Furnitur?

Is there a shop in the area?

Thanks, Q.

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

Hi, found this link to a store in Arlington which is very close to Boston:

shakerworkshops.com/shaker-workshops-retail-…

If you have time, I would also suggest going to Canterbury Shaker Village in New Hampshire. It's a little more than an hour north of Boston: http://www.shakers.org/ They have an online store as well, and a store in the village. Can't remember how much furniture they have for sale but I think there were some. It's a VERY interesting place to visit and a great guided tour.

http://www.shakers.org/

The link is also here towards the end of the page:

lovebostonwithme.com/Boston/day.trips.html

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

I can tell you that Cambridge used to be king for this. Where Mount Aburn meets Mass. Ave may still have many stores.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
976 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

Hi and thanks to both of you.

The shop in Arlington seems to be what we are looking for. We plan to visit Canterbury Shaker village,too.

Greetings,Q.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
976 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

We went to both, the shop in Arlington and to the Shaker Village.

The shaker village was a wonderful experince. We have been there on a wonderful sunny day an all the

beautiful leaves started to turn color. It is so peaceful at this place and the tour we took was very interesting. We finnaly bourght two shaker boxes in the village shop. At the Arlington store I had planed to buy a kit for a rocker, but the mailing would almost be as much as the kit, so I didn´t do it.

But my boxes are a wonderful souvenir.

Greetings,Q.

Boston...
Level Contributor
199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

Thank you for the update - glad you enjoyed it! I always enjoy going to the Shaker Village.

Hope to see you here soon again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

Quiltlover thanks for the report! It is so helpful when people write back on what happened with a particular visit etc. Isn't it always the shipping that kills buying the big things.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

In the '90s, I dealt with an Italian (near Milan)furniture manufacturer who specialized in Bauhaus designs, but also offered a line of Shaker furniture.

http://www.alivar.com/collection_museum.aspx

Also, on a more recent visit to Malmo, I visited a design museum that also offered some Shaker pieces... though I can't remember the name, it was right off the old main plaza.

These may not have exactly what you're looking for, but they may be good places to start closer to home...

There is also a source for kits...

shakerworkshops.com/catalog/…

and a list of Shaker shakerworkshops.com/addresses-of-shaker-muse…

southern Germany
Level Contributor
976 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

Hi and thanks to all of you for further informations.

I would have to have a shaker rocker so very much.

I did not search in Europe until now - so I´ll give it a try (or come back to New England...).

Greetings,Q.

9. Re: Shaker Furnitur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 18:20