We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Providence Airport?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Providence Airport?

Hi, Our airline has changed our flights to leave from Providence rather than Boston. Can anyone let me know how I get to Providence Airport from Boston (we are staying in the Back Bay area) and how long it will take? Many Thanks

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Providence Airport?

The drive shouldn't take much more than an hour, but allow for two. Head south from downtown Boston on I-93, then stay on 93 at the "split" in Braintree until you reach the I-95 interchange.

Go south on 95 all the way through Providence. The airport (T. F. Green) is in Warwick, two cities beyond. Connecting from the interstate is fast and easy.

Public transportation can't be completely ruled out, but you'd have to set aside a lot more time. After riding an Amtrak or commuter-rail train from Back Bay Station to Providence, walk across the street to a big outdoor transportation hub called Kennedy Plaza. RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority) has a bus route which goes from there all the way to the airport. Here are the Web links for schedules, fares, etc:

RIPTA: www.ripta.com

MBTA: www.mbta.com

Amtrak: www.amtrak.com

(Wow, original site addresses, LOL...)

Depending on how long you're in Boston, you might want to set out for Providence the afternoon or evening before you leave. There are some nice hotels downtown, great shopping at the century-old "Arcade" and the massive new Providence Place mall and along the East Side's Thayer St, and a surprising quantity of excellent restaurants (especially on the East Side and in Federal Hill, the historically Italian neighborhood west of I-95 straddling Atwells Ave.) You'd also want to spend some time taking in the Riverwalk, for while it doesn't rival the one in San Antonio - yet - it's enjoyable nonetheless.

One final note: If you're driving and have a spare hour or so, detour by the Wrentham Village Shopping Outlets en route.