We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

NY
11 posts
Save Topic
Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

Planning a road trip from NY to Boston(Aug 5) then Maine. Since we have a car, is it better to drive around and stay at a hotel away from boston or should we just leave the car at the hotel and book someplace in boston and walk around? im not sure how the traffic/parking will be so which is better? ive been to boston 2-3 years ago and all i remember is Quincy Market and the yummy calm chowder. since its only a day what are the places we must visit besides Quincy Market and eat at(breakfast/lunch/dinner)? btw any hotels recommendations based on either traveling around boston or walking around.

Plympton...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

I would highly recommend a visit to my favorite town in Massachusetts (no, I don't live there), Plymouth. Plymouth is the best summer town less than an hour from Boston. It's so bright and cheery...there's always something going on. I just stayed there (again) last weekend. My girlfriend and I spent the night at the best kept secret in New England - the John Carver Inn. I'm still euphoric from the experience. The John Carver Inn is my favorite hotel in the world - and I've done my share of globetrotting! You'll have to just stay there to find out what I mean.

The staff is the sweetest! Dee (the woman who checked us in) was a doll. And I don't recall his name, but the night watchman (or whatever he's called) dropped what he was doing so that my girlfriend (who'd never stayed there before) could have a look at the pool even though it was all closed and locked when we checked in well after midnight on Saturday night. The guy was just ready to cater to our every whim - offering this, that, and the other thing. He even refused to let me tip him! He said, "my reward is in Heaven." -No doubt!

I would definitely seize the opportunity to stay in Plymouth so you don't miss a stay at the John Carver Inn and a walk around Brewster Gardens. It's heaven on earth.

Southern California
Level Contributor
89 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

I would park the car at a hotel and either walk around Boston or take the "T" if you stay at a convenient location near the expressway that would be great but chances are the cost for parking will be expensive. Either way I do recommend parking the car if you want to get out and look around but driving in Boston is like driving in Manhattan so if you don't know where your going the local drivers can be extremely BRUTAL to deal with.

It's not easy to find parking either, it really depends on the day you are going I see it is on a Friday does that mean you will arrive in Boston in the day time and have the afternoon to explore and Saturday morning?

Keene, New Hampshire
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

It depends on what types of things you would like to see. If you want to be near Quincy market, you also have the Aquarium nearby, whale watching tours and harbor cruises, as well as the North End (Little Italy, but DON"T call it that!) and the Freedom Trail. Good places to stay in that area would be the Marriott Custom House, The Millenium Hotel, the Marriott Long Wharf. If you are looking for theater, the Radisson Hotel is a great location each room with a balcony. For shopping, the Copley, Prudential area is the best part of town, with Newbury St nearby as well the shopping centers at Copley Place and the Prudential Center. For a great dinner, try Top of the Hub at the Prudential, or the Capital Grille on Newbury for the best steaks in town! Great places to stay in that area are numerous. The Mariott Copley is a great location as well as a great breakfast. The Sheraton and Hilton are good choices too. The Sheraton is attached to the Prudential Center shops, and there is a good breakfast diner a few blocks away, and cheap! If you are looking for a great treat, try Finale for dessert-that is all they serve (& a light appetizer menu). There are so many great things to see & do. I also suggest a duck tour around the city- the best way to get to see the whole city in one day! Good luck and enjoy!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

Hey! We're planning on staying at the Millennium for 1 night. Has anyone stayed there? Reviews seem mixed, but all say excellent location. We're taking a cruise out of Boston the next day so time is limited. Any info would be gratefully accepted.

NY
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

thanks for all the replies. im going to try to priceline to downtown boston and/or cambridge. whale watching seems like a good idea, but for a 1day trip im afraid i wont have time for that.

THANKS AGAIN

6. Re: Visting Boston for 1 day, where is best/most convienient...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2005, 12:56