We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you think im being over anxious

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
do you think im being over anxious

We will be in Boston and leave on the 29 Dec , our flight is with BA from JFK back to the UK, i cannot change the route.

Do you think we would have problems with cancellations etc if we flew from boston to jfk to get our connections on this date ie jet blue.

alternative is to return back to jfk on the 28th and spend the night in new york, we would do this on the train.

im concerned as it is the holiday season and of bad weather that could delay us, we cannot miss the flight back from JFK to the uk.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do you think im being over anxious

Fortunately, NYC and Boston are close enough that if you see weather forecasts that suggest your Jet Blue flight could be problematical, it would be easy to get on a train or bus to go to JFK.

Boston TV stations place a heavy emphasis on weather forecasting during their newscasts, so watching TV news a day or two prior to your trip should provide sufficient warning.

Still, you are taking a bit of a risk by booking an airline ticket to NYC on Jet Blue that won't be linked in any way to your BA flight. If the tickets were linked, the airline(s) would have an obligation to reschedule you and get you home. Unlinked, you are on your own.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do you think im being over anxious

If anything, the holiday season works in your favor, as there is heavier traffic at that time of year, and airlines are less likely to cancel flights because the seats aren't filled (though they always cite some other reason). Agreed that if the forecast is bad, you can always just take a train and/or leave Boston early. Trains tend to be more impervious to all but the heaviest snowfalls than planes.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do you think im being over anxious

Weather-watching is an obsession in winter in the NOrtheast. We rarely have a bad storm that's not predicted. (More often, a bad storm is predicted and doesn't happen, but that's another story). So you can plan to take Jet Blue but keep an eye on the weather and if there's a prediction of heavy snow, you can talk to JetBlue about getting out sooner. It's not impossible to get from Boston to NYC, even in snow, so if airports are closed, you can always take the train. There can, of course, be train delays due to snow.

It's a good 4-5 hours between cities, so if you want to take alternate transportation, you'll want to make that decision in enough time to do that. The train/bus won't take you directly to the airport, so...add in time for hat.

If you want to be super safe and not have to worry about it at all, you can just plan to spend the night in NYC and enjoy the city there. The benefit to spending the night in NYC is that you're not worried about it and you get to spend time in Manhattan.

Like a lot of these questions on TA, a lot comes down to personality. Some people are fine with taking a risk---after all, heavy snow here in December is not as likely as it is in January, but it's happened... Others won't be able to relax unless every precaution is taken...

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do you think im being over anxious

I would spend the night in NYC. I think QueensLace's post brought up some good points about personality. It won't be an enjoyable vacation here if you are fretting over the flight home the whole time.

Usually December has less snow but last winter it was the reverse. We got lots of snow starting in mid Nov and into December then a little break in January. Believe me I know (as I paid the snow plowing bill for my driveway!). Plus NYC decorated for Christmas can be a nice time to visit and you could see a Christmas show (I think they run until Jan 1st).

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do you think im being over anxious

Yes, QueensLace has the right solution. Just plan to spend the night before your flight in New York.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do you think im being over anxious

Thanks im familar with the states, new york and domestic flights that can be cancelled for no reason, so we have decided to have the last night in New York, will still spend 5 days in boston, and am really looking forward to it.

Problem mainly is taking a chance could be fine, or turn in to a total nighmare esp if we had to leave boston early for NY as hotels prices for end of dec are high , will get higher, and maybe sold out due to new year eve.

7. Re: do you think im being over anxious

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 13:18