We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
842 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

A week or two ago people suggested if we're only going to be there for 4 days not to rent a car and just to stay in the inner city.

We're amateur photographers and we'll have several bags and I guess a taxi is the best way to get to downtown. About how much is the taxi fare?

We live in Atlanta and much of in-town (downtown) Atlanta isn't safe to walk around in, especially at night. How is BSN and which areas, if any, should be avoided in the inner city?

I'd appreciate suggestions for upper-end (not 5 star) hotels close-in with a personality.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for middle to upper end restaurants reasonably close to downtown proper.

Finally if we wanted to go to some out-of-town destination, I'd appreciate suggestions and how to get there.

Thanks a million, Kent

Boston
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

HI Kent-in order:

1) I don't know what the fares are but they will be expensive for sure. You might plan on $20 or more for the trip, hopefully locals in the city will chime in too

2) Boston is like any big city, you don't go down dark alleys anywhere at night, stay near lights and avoid Roxbury in particular. If you stay "downtown" just used common sense, don't flash valuable, same as any other city

3) hopefully others will chime in here, I've only stayed at the Copley Plaza which is wonderful but wasn't cheap

4) same with restaurants, there are tons and tons and tons, you'll have no problems. Depends on what you like to eat, there's fish everywhere, excellent Chinese dim sum in Chinatown, excellent Italian in the North end

5) take the communter rails or the T- go to the MBTA website (mass bay transit authority) and they'll show you the maps. The commuter rails go to many locations north of the city where you could walk the coastline and take shots

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

I'll try to elaborate:

Taxi... I'm not sure, I rarely take them, but I've seen others say around $35. You'll need to pay the taxi commercial toll rate at the tunnel, which I believe is $5.50 and there's a surcharge for the airport ... that gets added to the meter fee.

Anyplace a tourist needs to be in Boston is safe. It is a silly, be aware and you'll be fine.

Hotels in October are filling fast. It's a VERY popular month here. Many people experience sticker shock when looking at hotel prices in Boston. Since you didn't specify a price range, I'll throw a few things out and let you research. Anything downtown will be convenient. The Omni Parker House on school street is old and endearing and well-cared for ... The Liberty Hotel is very new, built in a very old prison and plays up the prison-aspect of things. The Park Plaza hotel is an older hotel, very conveneiently located. It gets mixed reviews. My sister-in-law stayed there last summer for a conference and loved it. The Holiday Inn Select Beacon Hill/Government Center on Blossom Street (make sure it's that particular Holiday Inn) is a basic, lower cost alternative.

Restaurants -- Durgin Park; The Daily Catch; Yankee Lobster; Legal Seafoods; Pho Pasteur; Border Cafe (Harvard Square) Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage (Harvard Square) Fig's Pizza, Paramount, Giacamo's, the list can go on for ever.

Out of town ... depends on where you are going. Fast ferry to Provincetown -- which gives you access to a eclectic little down, beaches and gorgeous dunes. Oh ... and did I mention the SPECTACULAR light here? Commuter Rail to Salem or Rockport, Greyline tours to many places, Commuter rail to Concord and then a "Liberty Tour" to the historic sites of Lexington and Concord. Blue line to Belle Isle Marsh, --- 'birders' like the marsh in the fall, they look for migratory ducks and other birds that are only in the area for a short time.

What do you like to photograph?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

OOOPS ... shouldn't type before coffee ... it is a CITY (not a silly), be aware of your surroundings!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

I lived in Atlanta (Midtown and Buckhead) for a couple years in the 80s, and from my point of view, you just can't compare the two cities. Boston is much more compact, and the areas where you will likely stay and "hang" will probably be as safe as I remember, say, Viginia Highlands or Little Five Points... just with bigger buildings. :) There will be people strolling in most areas, even into the night. It's unlikely you'd stray into areas you should be avoiding. Aside from the very very center of the financial district, Boston "proper" has a pretty much upscale residential / commercial mix. The strictly commercial area isn't very big, and even that has a scattering of pubs and restaurants that attract people getting out of the office late.

At this late date, you may have difficulty finding the combination of location, atmosphere and price you might prefer for a hotel. I'd suggest you take a look at the hotels' websites listed in TA and give us your choices to react to. I saw a post recently that was from a traveler who was staying at a B&B in the South End called Encore. I had never heard of it, so I looked at the website and was impressed.

To give you an idea of what I like for restaurants, in Atlanta, I liked The Colonnade, Cow Tippers, Einstein's and some BBQ place on a side street in Buckhead whose name I can't remember. I have no idea whether these places still exist, though. :(

Anyway, I always recommend Franklin Cafe in the South End... to the point where frequent readers must think I don't eat anywhere else. Fleming's (Steak), Legal (Seafood), Maggiano's (Italian), Jae's or Pho Republique (Asian) and Tremont 247 are other favorites on the mid-upper range places I like.

For out of town excursions, I recommend taking the ferry to Provincetown or the commuter rail to Rockport or Salem.

http://www.provincetownfastferry.com/

http://www.rockportusa.com/

http://www.salem.org/

http://www.mbta.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

Just about any place you would go as a tourist is safe day and night. These include the Financial District, Downtown Crossing, Beacon Hill, Theatre District, Seaport/Waterfront, North End, Back Bay, Kenmore/Fenway, Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, Chinatown. Subways are safe to use day and night, too. Of course, it's a big city, so be aware of your surroundings and don't do anything foolish. The Downtown Crossing and Theatre District can be a little sketchy in the wee hours, but not necessarily terribly dangerous.

As far as going somewhere out of town, how you go will of course depend on where you go. For example, Harvard Square /Harvard are in Cambrdige, but easily reached by subway. Salem is reachable by commuter rail or ferry. Lexington/Concord really require a car or to take a bus tour.

As for restaraunts, there are hundreds to choose from, so you really have to zero in on type of food/price range.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

Massport estimates the cab fare to go downtown, from 25-50 dollars.

With easy traffic, a cab ride to Copely Square area, should be in the $35.00 range.

www.massport.com

7. Re: Coming to BSN on Oct 5 to Oct 10 (four full days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 16:18