We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Station to South Station?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
North Station to South Station?

Hello,

Will be coming into North Station on Amtrak Downeaster. How should we two folks get to South Station or Back Bay station to get connecting Amtrak to NYC? Which station is prefered? One traveler is elderly and really can't tolerate stairs, so would that eliminate any local subway connection? How much is the subway (if available)? Or should we just take a taxi? Where would we get the taxi and how much should we be charged? And how far would be going, in order to know when to book the connection?

Thanks so much!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Station to South Station?

I would go to South Station over Back Bay. South Station has a food Court and better suited for waiting. The quickest way is via cab for around 10-13 dollars.

This takes ten minutes by cab. I beleive there are no stairs. I usually come in thru the Post Office entrance. I believe the main entrance will be fine.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Station to South Station?

Under those circumstances, I would just take a taxi. Will probably by $10 or 15 for South Station or a little more than that for Back Bay Station. Subway would be $2 a person. You could take the Orange Line to Back Bay Station, but again, I would opt for the taxi.

PlanetX
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Station to South Station?

If you've got an elderly traveler, take the taxi...

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,440 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Station to South Station?

Definitely got to South Station. It's the first stop on the train, you probably will find seats together without lots of walking through the cars.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Station to South Station?

I agree South Station will be your best bet the train will fill up there and once it leaves SS seats will be limited.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Station to South Station?

Also to take bags the taxi would be prefereable.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Station to South Station?

Thanks all!

So, now we know for sure to take a taxi!

How do we provide for that? Do we hail a cab like NYC? Do we have to call one to come for us? And what cab company would we call?

Love this forum!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Station to South Station?

You can just walk out and hail one.

9. Re: North Station to South Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 00:19