We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

tgs
baton rouge
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

I will be traveling to Rockport the first weekend in September and was wondering if someone had a suggestion. Would like a place overlooking the water. I looked at Beach Knoll Inn and Yankee Clipper.. Is Yankee Clipper worth the price?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

I'm not familiar with either of those names. All I can do is give a couple names...

Bearskin Neck Motel (?) is located at the very tip of the neck, jutting out into the harbor, and surrounded by the "art colony".

The other name familiar to me is the Peg Leg... just barely out of the main shopping area... across the street from a little beach.

I live a couple towns away, so have no experience with staying at either... just am aware of their presence after living in the area for so long...

There are plent of others... I usually "google" and get pretty good initial results.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

With water views: The Emerson Inn is the best, and it has a very nice restaurant. The Seaward Inn (guest cottages and restaurant) in Rockport is nice. And just a couple of miles around the Gloucester way, there's the Cape Ann Motor Inn. It's more modest, but it's right on the cozy Long Beach.

Actually, the very best in the area is a new small hotel on the old Crane Mansion property at Crane's beach, a few miles up the road. Jsboston probably knows its name. Very upscale.

Be aware that all the places on Cape Ann consider this their peak period, especially Labor Day. Reserve ASAP. It already may be too late. And be prepared to have a two- or three-night minimum, and a two-week advance cancellation policy.

tgs
baton rouge
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

Thank you for your help. I'll look those up and try to make reservations ASAP.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

Firewind is right... I am very familiar with the Inn at Castle Hill. Here is their link...

http://www.theinnatcastlehill.com/

I have friends coming to visit and this is the place I have decided they should stay.

Ipswich is about a half-hour drive from Rockport, though if you like the quaint atmosphere and shops of Rockport, you may also love the dozens of antique shops lining Rte 133 in Ipswich and in Essex... the town that lies between.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Rockport, Mass

The Bearskin Neck Motor Lodge is right on the waterfront, and on the main (pedestrian) way to the end of the Neck. It looks "no frills," which of course says nothing about its overall quality.

On my strolls around Rockport I've noticed no lack of inns and B & B's, with and without ocean views. Arguably the best area is along a looping street called Marmion Way which parallels the shore. There are four or five places to stay along there, but all are small and may already be filled for Labor Day. (In fact, that's about a 99.9% certainty; as of mid-April the Captain's House only had one room left for that weekend.)

Another no-frills motel is the Eagle House, not by the ocean but on a quiet side street where the most noise you'll hear is the church bells next door. Moving up the price scale, there are dozens of places to choose from. Visit rockportusa.com, where many of them are listed along with Web site links. And don't forget to read other Rockport forum posts, and the TA Reviews :-)