We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
815 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Hi! We're coming to Boston next week for the first time. We are going to see everything we care to see in the downtown area and may have time for one or two day trips, returning to BSN each night. I'd appreciate suggestions for a "day trip 1" and a "day trip 2". I like historical things, beautiful scenery, and we are avid photographers and we are not much into museums, art or sports. We'll ride the metro in BSN but will rent a car if we go on a day trip(s).

Thanks a million,

Kent

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Rockport

Newport

Newburyport

Salem

Gloucester

Concord and Lexington

Plymouth

in that order...........

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,193 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Will you have a car?

If not,

You might consider a trip to Provincetown on the very tip of Cape Cod. There's two fast ferries to choose from ... I'm pretty sure both run until Columbus Day.

www.provincetownfastferry.com

www.BostonHarborCruises.com

Once there you can walk around town, climb Pilgrim Monument, visit the Cape Cod National Seashore's Provinceland Visitor's Center, take a leisurely walk through the Beech Tree Forest, and maybe even pick up a dune tour. www.artsdunetours.com

Another option is Lexington and Concord. You can take a train out to Concord and meet up w/ a Liberty Ride Tour

http://www.libertyride.us/libertyride.html

Salem is also reachable by ferry (www.salemferry.com) and commuter rail (www.mbta.com Newburyport/Rockport line

Maine
Level Contributor
724 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

jump on the Amtrak to Portland ,Maine

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

If you rent the car: Newport, RI or the Cape....both are about 1 1/2 hours from Boston.

Newport is a little bit more manageable for a day trip in the sense of park and explore...things are more compact there....but if you like driving, the Cape is great this time of year for just meandering down Rt 6A as far as you want and stopping whenever you feel like it.

check out:

www.gonewport.com

and for the Cape:

www.capeguide.com

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

All really great ideas, especially Providencetown & Newport, Rhode Island. If you end up going to Portland, Maine via AMTRAK? I was up there a few weeks ago, it was on a sunny day try to go see the Portland Headlight (lighthouse) it's SO pretty! When you think of Maine's rocky coast, this is where you'll see some of it thru here. Check out Commercial Street then go up to see the East Promenade Road along their coast, wait till you see the magnificient homes along the water thru here. There's a neat pathway along the coast that's their 2.1-mile "Eastern Promenade Trail", or most call it the "East Prom," a paved rail-trail,that follows the waterfront of Casco Bay from Old Port—Portland's famed heart of dining and nightlife—

where Commercial Street is located to Back Cove. This "East Prom" offers visitors & busy commuters a scenic bypass of downtown traffic, with broad views of sail-carved marinas, fall foliage and the city's sparkling waterfront. Year-round, the East Prom is loaded with invitations to be active all around the city. The trail passes tennis courts, ball fields and playgrounds, and East End Beach, where the bold, can brave Maine's ice-bucket waters.

Here's a good description of it...

Business-minded movers can also take advantage of the trail's enormous commuting potential, either on its own or as one leg of a longer journey. "Using the East Prom, that's the hub of how you get into downtown," says Nan Cumming, executive director of Portland Trails . It hugs the shoreline like a U-shaped beltway around the busiest traffic, and at both ends serves as an impressive gateway to other tributary trails. Under Tukey's Bridge at the northern Back Cove trailhead, the East Prom connects to the Back Cove Trail, a 3.5-mile loop marked off in quarter-mile segments, which is particularly handy for distance-conscious runners if you are in to that.

Commercial steet is SO great for walking, dining and shopping. It used to be a fishermen street, but now it has only fancy restaurants and trendy bars, cofeeshops and stores with all kinds of imaginable stuff in them. An interesting place to see is the Gulf of Maine Research Institute, with only the main lobby open for the public. Even so, you can witness here how important sealife was for this city.

During the week it'll be good if you could stop by DiMillo's for lunch if you think of it, It's an incredible waterfront dining landmark in Portland. It won't be as hectic during the week, you'll luck out. This restaurant is right along the harbor on Commercial Street. (you can't miss it.) A lot of visitors (even us!) enjoy it here for their gorgeous windows overlooking the harbor with the incredible scenery right in front of you & their great cuisine; you can't ask for anything more than that! So for a really good day trip think of Portland, Maine & go to their Forum to get more ideas, like you can't leave without going to see Lenny the Chocolate Moose! I was just in Portland a few weeks ago & loved this day trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Sorry I spelled Provincetown in ole Cape Cod oops my error, it's NOT Providencetown, LOL! I had Providence, RI on the brain because that's a good day trip too! Their Water/Fire show is thru October I believe. Just go to their site to check it out, walking along their canal is GREAT seeing this magnificient show!

www.waterfire.org

I stayed at the Marriott Renaissance in Providence right near their State Capital building (that looked just like the Capital Building in Washington, DC., it's absolutely beautiful!), there's a lot of places to check out, go to Federal Hill, it's a lot like our North End in Boston. I think it's more European, especially near DiPasquale Square where all their outdoor patios are located...

Glad to read you're renting a car for any of these type of day trips, it will definitely help!

Have a wonderful time!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
815 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

Thanks, all for your help and assistance. We're really looking forward to our 1st trip to Boston.

Kent

8. Re: suggestions for day trips outside of downtown Boston???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 20:19