We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian food and Lobster recommendations

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
534 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Italian food and Lobster recommendations

We are coming to Boston tonight. YAY! I would love to go to lobster dinner that is affordable, really casual would be fine, but I can't find anyting. We are staying at the Seaport Hotel, but are willing to travel.

Also, I have heard the North End is known for Italian food, but I am looking for your recommendation.

Thanks!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

I have a trick to getting affordable lobster. Check out the Irish Pubs around the Fanueil Hall Area, particularly Union Street. Look for flags that say "Lobster Special". You can get lobster at half the price of regular restaurants and it's cooked the same way anyway (boiled). For the north end, you'll see a lot of folks, including me, recommending LaSumma.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

Peach Farm has cheap lobster but it will be Chinese style. Typical way to make it is with scallions and ginger...

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

If you are staying at the Seaport Hotel, the best place that I would get a lobster dinner near you? Is the "Yankee Lobster Fish Market", right on Northern Avenue not too far from the hotel you're staying at, if you don't go there then walk over to it tomorrow after you check out of the hotel!

www.yankeelobstercompany.com

LaSumma's on Fleet Street without a doubt for Italian cuisine! AND if you don't go there? Then try to get in to Mamma Maria's if it's not too crowded.

Have a wonderful time. I'm sure you won't get this message now you're most likely out enjoying Boston already!

Good luck, keep us posted on where you ended up going!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

For a New England lobster meal, you have lots of options. To me, a lobster should be enjoyed in a relatively casual atmosphere.

Durgin Park in Boston

durgin-park.com/web/…Default.aspx

If you feel like a little subway ride, you might like the local flavor of the Mt. Vernon

http://www.mtvernonrestaurants.com/

If a day trip to the North Shore is a possibility (Rockport area), you can get a full clambake experience at Woodman's in Essex.

http://www.woodmans.com/

For Italian, there are too many places in the North End to chose, but my favorite there has been Cantina Italiana for years. Out of the North End, I really enjoy Maggiano's Little Italy in Park Square.

There is also a great place in Gloucester, on Rte 133 near the Fisherman's Monument, where you could get both Italian and really great seafood. Causeway Seafood is worth the 40 mile trip from Boston. capeannweb.com/restaurantreviews/…000166.php

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

I think the Mt Vernon actually completely lacks "local flavor" and would be a waste of time. JMHO.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

It's bash JS day! Just kidding. :o) But, I am not a fan of Cantina Italiana either (I think it caters to tourists with its cheesy atmosphere), and Maggiano's is a chain: why go to Boston and eat at a chain?

In the north end, you have Prezza and Mamma Maria (expensive), Giacomos, La Summa, Taranta, Antico Forno, Terramia, Massiminos, all good options. Outside the North End, you have Grotto (beacon hill) and Trattoria Toscana (near Fenway).

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

Oh, I disagree about the local color, but I find the food at the Mt Vernon vile. Quite literally, the last meal I had there was inedible (thugh granted, it wasn't lobster).

Chinatown is always an option for cheaper lobster. My favorite place is Peach Farm.

There are tons of reccs for the North End, but a couple of my favorite Italian places are in different neighborhoods: Grotto (Beacon Hill) Trattoria Toscanno (Fenway) and Sage (South End).

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

We are heading to Boston tmw for the long weekend, and we are also looking for some seafood near the Seaport area.

Yankee Lobster looks great but they close at 8 p.m. and I'm not sure I will make it there by then. Any other suggestions for near the water, or near Faneuil Hall? We will have a car.

Is the Legal's on the Wharf any good? Is there a Skipjack's nearby? Although we used to live in Boston we never made it to No Name. Is that a good option or a tourist trap? We would love some great chowder, a lobster roll and fried fish, or clams. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

I like the no name but would go somewhere else if just here a few days.

That legals is full with tourists. The Legals in Kendall Square would be a better choice.

L4R
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italian food and Lobster recommendations

I completely disagree about Cantina Italiana. I don't really care about the "atmosphere", the food is fantastic. Sure, they have a cheesy sign outside, but please don't let that stop you from trying it. Anyway, once you get inside, it looks and feels like any other North End restaurant.