We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

I think it's about time i got some plans sorted as i leave next week! :)

I will be arriving at around midday on the Thursday and will be staying at the Bulfinch hotel. My flight on Monday is 9pm, so i would probably leave for the airport at about 5pm?

Here are the plans so far (there aren't many!):

Thursday: Arrive early afternoon and check-in to the hotel. A brief look around nearish the hotel to familiarise myself with the place. NHL in the evening.

Friday: Possibly go down to NYC on the Acela, and back on the bus (in NYC from 10am - 8pm).

Saturday: ? Wonder around Boston... No real plans. Probably go up the Prudential tower in the early morning, or at night.

Sunday: NFL, and Broken Social Scene gig.

Monday: ? Probably go to the airport at about 5pm for a 9pm flight... no idea what to do for the day though!

So, what do you think i should fill the gaps with? Just so you know (and i am sure it helps), i am male, in my early 20s, and will be on my own.

On Saturday or during the day on Monday i could go on a day trip somewhere, but where to? and do you think this is a good idea? or should i just stick to the city?

Any ideas would be great as i am running out of time, and am getting a bit stuck!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

Wandering (or wondering) around Boston may work for a little while but is not what you want to do for your whole trip. Check the "Things to Do" button to the left and you can put your own plan together.

As far as the Bulfinch to Logan trip, it's only a 15 minute trip, so if want to arrive at 7 PM for your 9 PM flight, you can leave at 6:45.

AlanM

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

First, I suggest you abandon the idea of going to New York. Save it for another trip when you have more time. Boston is too good to sacrifice a full day to riding in trains and buses for the sake of a couple of hours in NYC.

I think a day trip is a good idea, and I'd recommend either Lexington-Concord or Salem.

You don't need to be at the airport four hours before your flight. You don't even need to leave for the airport four hours ahead of your flight. Give yourself at least another hour to enjoy yourself.

Since you seem to have an interest in American sports, you might want to visit Fenway Park. If the Red Sox manage to win their current series, they will be playing at home the night of the 23rd in the second game of the World Series. You're already busy with hockey that night, but if the Sox are in the Series, the buzz will be palpable all over town for your whole time here. There will be games Saturday and Sunday in either Philadelphia or Los Angeles, and you might want to plan to watch in a neighborhood bar. You might also take a Fenway tour.

Specific activities depend on your interests. The Freedom Trail is good. Go to Harvard Square. Generally, just plan to do a lot of walking around.

Have a good trip.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

I will probably keep in the NYC trip unless i can find something more worthwhile. I have been before, so would like to go down and see the bits i missed last time. I can easily get a good 8-10hrs there too.

What is there to see/do in Concord/Lexington/Salem? and would i need a car?

Oh and if the Redsox are in the 'World' series then that would be very cool, and i assume the place will be a lot more lively! :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

I think a trip to Fanueil Hall Marketplace would be fun (food court, people watching) and also Harvard Square.

Do you like science? May be a visit to the Museum of Science you would find interesting. They have an Omnimax and planetarium show that you might enjoy.

How about a trip to a brewery? The Sam Adams Brewery would be fun too. It has been a long time since I did the tour but you can read the reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60745-d60…

If at all interested in history, walk the Freedom Trail. Pick up a free map at the visitor center at the Boston Common.

I assume you have an overseas flight? With an overseas flight it is best to go to your airline's web site and read the recommended check in time there. For overseas flight you do need to arrive a little earlier but for 9PM flight I would think arriving by 6:30 - 6:45 would be fine but do check with the airline.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

I only mentioned 5pm, as i dont really know how the traffic would affect things on a Monday :) But i guess its only a few miles!

Museums really aren't my thing, and i would much rather go and see things outside than walk around a museum for hours!

I will of course walk the freedom trail, and go to boston common though.

One thing i would like to do is take some night time skyline shots. Is there a place where anyone could recommend to do this?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

When do you plan on seeing Boston?

There's the freedom trail, trolley tours, duck tours, the Aquarium, the North end, the pubs around TD North Garden, Beacon HIll, the Charles River, MIT, Harvard, and closer by Salem.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

The Cambridge bank of the Charles River and any of several bridges across the river (Massachusetts Avenue, Longfellow, Museum of Science) provide great skyline views.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

A boat ride would also be a nice way to take night shots of the city. You can take a cheap short Inner Harbor ferry ride from Charlestown to Long Wharf or Long Wharf to the Airport. Another option is to go on an evening dinner cruise on The Odyssey or The Spirit of Boston.

www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/boats/lines/…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

If you are interested in going to Salem for "Haunted Happenings", you could take the Salem Ferry and get great shots of the Boston Skyline.

http://www.salemferry.com/schedule.shtml

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan my trip! 23rd - 27th Oct (next week!)

Ok, so Salem might be an idea for a quick visit :)

I am assuming that the 'fall' colours will be over when i arrive at the end of next week?

If they aren't, where is best to see them, and will i need a car?

With Concord/Lexington, would i need a car too?