We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Trip report....loved it!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Trip report....loved it!

Hi

Well, just got back from 6 days in Boston, and wanted to thank people on here for their advice, we had an amazing time. The weather was fantastic, it could not have been better. Infact, it was so warm I actually had to go out and buy a vest top to wear during the day, as it was far too hot to wear the sweaters i had packed (not that I am complaining!).

We spent the first two nights in a central B&B in the South End, which was great, really handy for all the sights. I liked that Boston is very walkable too..boy did we walk some! On our trip we did the following...

Lots of shopping!

Cheers Bar

Quincy market

Freedom Trail

Harvard

Fenway park

Salem (by ferry)

Duck Tour

pastry at "mike's"

Cream pie at the Omni Parker house hotel

Coffee at the top of the prudential centre..great views

We probably did other stuff, but its a bit of a blur now! I really loved the duck tour, it was well worth the money. Salem was pretty too, but very touristy, with all the usual cheesy stuff you would expect. The views from the ferry of Boston alone, make it worth it. I loved the Omni parker house hotel, and maybe I might treat myself to a couple of nights there next time. The shopping was really great, and unlike in New York, there is no tax on things up to $200, which made things a real bargain. I would offer the following tip though...if you are tempted to buy any cosmetics or perfume at the airport..don't!!! The choice was practically non existant, very dissapointing selection, and we had a nightmare with liquids etc (as we had to change at Amsterdam and nearly could not buy anything). I would suggest buying everything at one of the department stores in Boston, where they have a great selection.

We had some amazing food over there...would strongly recommend Bertucci's for lunch or dinner. I believe it is an Italian "chain" restaurant, but we thought the quality and value were exceptional.

We spent 4 nights in a "host home" in Newton, which was really nice too, though not as convenient for the centre. Still, it was nice to see a different side of Boston, and some amazing houses and restaurants were there. We got around easy enough with our T pass, including the airport.

I can't wait to go back to Boston! We did everything on public transport or by foot, though next time, having seen most of it, we might hire a car and go further out.

I will start saving for my next trip I think!

Thanks again for the help I got on here, I loved it!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Thanks for the trip report. Where did you end up stay? It is funny, The Boston Forum does not usually suggest Bertucci's because it is a local chain but when my sister-in-law visits us from Germany, she only wants to eat at Bertucci's. I guess I will start to recommend it.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Thanks for a great trip report. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Interesting comment about Bertucci's Remay....

My family likes Bertucci's ... my husband and I have been eating there since BEFORE it was a chain and their menu was limited to pizza and salad AND you could play bocce while you waited for your pizza to cook. (Yes, I'm THAT old!) We usually went to the one in Davis Square and occassionally ventured over to the one near MIT ... that one still exists but I'm pretty sure the window-side bocce court is gone!)

Now when we go, it's generally to a suburban location with a parking lot ....

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Hi!

We stayed in Aisling house bed and breakfast for 2 nights, then onto a house in Newton, like a host home sort of thing, where a family cooked your breakfast and put you up, it was a lovely home, but I did feel more like a "guest" than holiday maker, if you get me?

I was chatting to the landlady of Aisling B&B about how much I loved Pizza (as you do!) and she mentioned that she liked Bertucci's. I had not given it a second thought until the second from last day when we spotted one near the childrens museum area of town, and we decided to pop in for lunch. I have to admit it was amazing food. I had a 10" pizza and hubby had a spaghetti with steak dish, and we shared a salad, and it was probably the best meal of the holiday. I have been to Italy many times (got wed there in fact) and have eaten lots of pizza (I do like other foods, I might add!), and I have to say, the pizza's in Bertucci's were amongst the best I have had, delicious. My hubby's steak dish with the pasta was amazing too. It all tasted really healthy and fresh, and we did not feel totally bloated, as we did after most meals (our fault for eating everything put in front of us, probably!).

So yes, chain or not, I thought the food was amazing.

I would definatley go back. I bet it is good on an evening too, and I notice they are open until 11pm. You can't go wrong.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Redpanda30,

Thank you for your great trip report on Boston. I wanted to tell you that I never ate at a Bertucci's until about 2 years ago myself. My niece while away at college would meet us at the one in NH every so often and now we're hooked. Some people have gone there for years and take it for granted or don't like it at all, not us! Bertucci's IS absolutely really good, in fact we really enjoy going to them now. We like the one at the North Shore Mall too. I know they're all a chain, but some I notice are better than others. We tried the Bertucci's near the Museum of Science too a few times & yes you're right, it's a "good" one & on our list when we're in that Cambridgeside Galleria because lately I don't know what it is but we really aren't that crazy about the Cheesecake Factory any more, may be it's different chefs or something? I don't know, but we head to Bertucci's now instead. We also like the one on Rte 1 in Saugus, that one's a good one too, it's their atmosphere there I think. Granted they don't have the best pizza on the planet at this chain or in the greater Boston area here? But they're still pretty good in my book just the same. They also changed around their menu again so they're better than they ever were.

Thank you again for your great trip report, glad you had such a great time. Definitely plan on returning to Boston & also stay at the Omni Parker House the next time, you'll really enjoy it there!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Hi!

Glad you liked my report! Everyone is so helpful on here I felt it was only right to report back. Do you know, I was so upset that I never got to go to the cheesecake factory! We wandered in one day to have a look at the deserts, and WOW! How big are the slabs of cheesecake! They looked AMAZING and I said to hubby " We are definatley coming back here" but we never got round to it, and I was so upset!

We did get to try JP Licks though, and I can heartily recommend the peanut butter ripple ice cream with caramel sauce....yummmm! We were shocked by the price though, we each had 2 scoops and it was $16 dollars in total! We could have had a whole meal in Bertucci's for that!

I wish we had Bertucci's in the UK, I would probably be there every day...mind you, I think I put on about a stone this holiday, so its just as well there aren't any! Ah well....happy days!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Thanks for writing. You shared some good tips that will be helpful to others. The chat about Bertucci's is right on. It is IMO a reasonably priced chain. I agree that some locations are better than others. Rather than dining in we do take out from there (probably more than we should!)

Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean to "put on a stone"?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

LOL...Thanks an English thing...we tend to measure weight in "stones"....14 pounds to a stone..So..I think I have put on 14 pounds, in other words! Terrible aint it?! I am hoping as it went on quickly it will soon go.

Oh, one more thing...I was really looking forward to having Boston Beans..but is it just me, or does nowhere do them? As you can tell, we ate out loads, and I looked at several other menu's whilst we were walking around, and nowhere seemed to do them. I thought it would be a big thing, and I even envisaged them being sold on the street as as snack, but no? I did eventually get to try them at a hot dog place in Salem, of all places. I have to say, after all of that I was a bit dissappointed, they were not as nice as I would have thought.

Is there anywhere in Boston that does them???

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Durgin Park in Faneuil Hall has Boston Baked Beans down to a science! The way they should be! Here's their menu, remember this place the next time you're in Boston, it's a gem:

www.durgin-park.com

Growing up in Boston, in the various neighborhoods for years and years we had "Boston Baked Beans" with hot dogs and HAD to have the "brown bread" on a Saturday night. That was one meal that was a given, no matter what! Also, the "roxbury rolls" in a lot of homes too. (The Boston Firemen started that one.) They're the rolls that you break apart, you can buy them now in the frozen section of the supermarkets anywhere, but a lot of us had the home made ones! What were they used for? You dip the roll in the Boston Baked Beans sauce of course!

Next time you're here definitely go to Durgin Park for them!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Hi NoMo, funny enough, the lady from the second place we stayed at mentioned about them being served as a side dish, somewhere in Quincy market, I assume she was talking about this place. I shall remember it! Funny thing that there is not more places doing it though....can't understand it, for somewhere known as "beantown"???I bet they would be nice with a jacket potato too.yum!!

Have you by any chance eaten in Newton? On the last day we went to the most amazing diner called "Johnny's". Again, it was recommended by our hosts, and in particular the sweet potato fries. We went for lunch on the last day, and the place was full of awards on the walls for "best breakfast in Boston" etc etc. I tell you what, the sweet potato fries were possibly one of the nicest things I have EVER tasted. I thought they would be a bit well, odd, but honest to God, they were out of this world. My husband had the most amazing burger, and the place was buzzing. I just wondered if it was well known, as it seemed a bit special. Then again, there could be numerous places like that in the suburbs for all I know!

Ah, what I wouldn't give for some sweet potato fries right now!!

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Trip report....loved it!

Hi Red,

Thanks for that trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here in Boston.

As for the baked beans, yes it used to be a staple here during colonial times. Most people didn't have their own ovens at that time. Also, it was difficult to be cooking on Sunday when you were supposed to be in church all day. So, people used to bring crocks of beans to the local bakery on Saturday evening, where they could bake in the ovens all night and all day and then be ready for Sunday dinner.

However, Boston has grown and changed and most of that ancient colonial food isn't made much anymore, except for places like Durgin Park.

The last time I was in London, I wasn't able to find any steak and kidney pie, bubble and squeak, or a good ploughman's lunch...so I feel your pain...:)