We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston at Christmas

x Long Islander
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Boston at Christmas

My husband, son (18 years old) and I will be spending Christmas in Boston (12/20 thru 12/28). We have never been there and would love to hear ideas of things to do and see as well as shopping places, activities and restaurants not to miss.

We will not be renting a car and are accustomed to walking. We are not into museums but enjoy eclectic, different and unusual situations. We are sports minded and like to do things that are unique to the city.

Also, a hotel recommendation (and recommeded location) would be greatly appreciated. We are in need of a suite situation (bedroom/living room with pullout couch)-- that is, two TVs so that our son can stay up until all hours while we can get our snooze time.

All information would be helpful and is appreciated!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston at Christmas

Being from LI, you already know that winter weathr can sometimes be less than fun. It makes it a little more challenging when you can't rely on museums, but Boston will be a great vacation for you.

Start with the Freedom trail, which connects many of the historic sites in the city. Make sure you get the free tour of Old Ironsides. Tour Beacon Hill, stroll Newbury Street (you can even duck into some boutiques or galleries), view the Library in Copley Square. Take an evening trip to Harvard Square, have dinner in John Harvard' Brew House, and stroll through Harvard Yard. One museum you may enjoy is the very different Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, which you can do in a couple of hours. Plus the Aquarium.

For your suite accomodations, try the Marriott Custom House.

AlanM

x Long Islander
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston at Christmas

AlanM

Thank you for taking the time to provide some great ideas.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston at Christmas

With a stay of that length, you could take a day off from the city and go skiing... or take lessons if you haven't been before.

www.bssc.com/index.cfm?category=5&activity=35

The schedule hasn't been set yet, but you can sign up for email alerts.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston at Christmas

The holiday season in Boston is like a winter wonderland, so you will enjoy just walking around and enjoying the festive feeling that is here.

For things to do and see that are different and uniquely Boston, I'd second the Freedom trail. Even if it is cold you can always duck into a tavern along the way for some hot cocoa:)

Also, Chinatown in Boston is great and we love to recommend Michele Torpor's Chinatown Market Tour for something unique. The tour concludes with a Dim Sum lunch with your guide.

micheletopor.com/html/…tour_chinatown.html

You can't miss the North End for a cultural experience and dinner. I might suggest visiting the Old North Church http://www.oldnorth.com/ and dinner at Ristorante Saraceno, Fiore or Bricco.

Again, it is hard to get away from museums in the dead of winter but for something completely different, you could try the Institute of Contemporary Art http://www.icaboston.org/. It is a really unique space on the waterfront with some incredible modern art you'll definitely be talking about for the remainder of the trip.

Hope that helps. You're sure to have a fantastic Boston experience - and I think you already have a head start on planning. Don't hesitate to email with more specific questions as I'd be happy to help!

SeaportConcierge

Concierge at the Seaport Hotel

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston at Christmas

Check out what shows are in town at Boston.com and see if there is anything that appeals to you all-- some suggestions -- Holiday Pops at Symphony Hall, Nutcracker, Black Nativity.

Also, Blue Man group is fun. The 18 year old should like it, but it appeals to all ages.

If Bruins are in town, a hockey game could be fun.

x Long Islander
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston at Christmas

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I checked out the Marriott Custom House -- dang! It's pricey, especially for a long stay. Any other suggestions for our situation would be appreciated.

Also, Christmas dinner. Any sure fire hits? Our son is a bit picky so a traditional turkey dinner would be really nice OR anything with pasta, of course.

Thanks all!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston at Christmas

Hello!

Usually, every year the Concierge Association sends out a list of spots hosting a holiday dinner around the beginning of November. Once I get that I'll be sure to post a few here.

But, going from last year's list here are a few that will most likely be doing something along the lines of a traditional holiday meal again this year.

75 Chestnut

Abe & Louies

Grill 23

Capital Grill

There are certainly a lot more to choose from and if you are able to provide more details on the kind of atmosphere and budget you are looking for, I'm sure all the posters will be able to assist!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
130 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston at Christmas

Being sports minded, you may want to go to a Celtics or Bruins game. The BankNorth Garden is convienently located and there's a variety of ways to obtain tickets.

Another option is a Patriots game in Foxboro. They're at home on 12/21 and you could take the train from Boston to the stadium. Considering the recent history of this team, and the new stadium, it could be a memorable event!

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston at Christmas

If the weather is suitable you can go skating on the Frog Pond; it's really fun at night. There is hot cocoa etc at the building next to it.

There is a restaurant in Chinatown where you dip your tidbits into pots of boiling broth to cook them. The concierge can probably tell you the name. Fun for the 18 yr old I bet.

We saw Nutcracker there last New Years week---we have a 15 yr old daughter. Might not be your thing---we enjoyed it very much. The theater is near the restaurant with the boiling broth; we did them on the same evening.

Don't know if you are church-inclined but there are some very historic ones & at that time they will be beautifully decorated.

L4R
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston at Christmas

Looks like you'll have a pretty good amount of time here, so I recommend renting a car and heading up to Newburyport one evening. It is absolutely beautiful around the holidays. It really looks like the set of a classic Christmas movie and has tons of cute shops and restaurants. You can't beat if for New England charm.