We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Boston

Norfolk, Nebraska
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to Boston

We will be in Smithfield RI Nov 13 thru the 17th. Our daughter will be playing in a VB tournamet at Bryant College. We decided to stay an extra day to drive into Boston. The only day we will be able to do this is on Sunday. First of all does anyone know how early things shut down on Sunday? Also, with only having one day to spend in Boston, what restaurant would be a "must" to eat at. We would prefer a seafood restaurant since we are from the midwest. What area should we visit for the full effect of Boston? Is there a tour bus that we can take? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Boston

Hi,

Most stores in downtown Boston shut at 6pm on Sunday, including most of the shops at Quincy Market.

Restaurants are usually open later, until 10pm typically, although some might close a bit earlier on a Sunday. Some are open later as well.

If you are looking for seafood, you don't necessarily have to eat at a "seafood" restaurant. There's loads of incredible seafood at places like the Daily Catch, which specializes in Sicilian-Style seafood. I'd recommend that, because not only is it delicious, but it's a cute place and it's in the heart of the North End, which is a must see on your list for the day.

http://www.dailycatch.com/main.html (you want the Hanover St. location )

If that doesn't interest you, then I'd suggest you go to Legal Seafood, which is a more "standard" seafood restaurant, but very good. Try the location on Atlantic Avenue next to the Aquarium, which will be near Quincy Market and the North End and right off the Freedom Trail.

If I were you, I'd probably try to get a Duck Tour if they are still running http://www.bostonducktours.com make sure to reserve in advance.

Otherwise, just drive and park at the Boston Common garage and go to the Boston Common Visitor's Center next to Park St. Station. You can begin a Freedom Trail walk from there.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Boston

There are trolley tours that allow you to get off and get on. They are a good way to see important sites and get an overview of the city. But, Boston is compact and very walkable and "subwayable" so if you do some research and have an idea of what you want to see, you can get around pretty easily on your own, too.

Norfolk, Nebraska
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Boston

Yes, the Freedom Walk is something we would be interested in. Also, thank you for the info. on parking as we will be driving a rental. Your restaurant choices sound awesome!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Boston

The good thing about coming to Boston on Sunday is the driving is easier that day and the parking is much less than the week day rate. So this is a plus for you with a car! The Boston Common garage is usually suggested as having the best rates. You can also pick up many trolley tours from the Boston Common visitor center or get brochures there or a Freedom Trail map if you want to do it yourself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Boston

Oops and I see I have just reiterated what Beantownman said about the parking, visitor center etc. At least we think alike!

Try to get to the North end (Italian section) and try some desserts at one of the bakeries (Mike's and Modern are the two most popular). The North End has several stops along the Freedom Trail so if you follow the trail you go right through the North End.

6. Re: First timer to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:18