We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panicking!

London
1 post
Save Topic
Panicking!

I have just booked a 5 day surprise trip to Boston for my parents and have just realised that it is over the easter weekend! (April 2009). Is this a very bad idea? Will all the major attractions be closed and will the city be very busy at this time of year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panicking!

What major attractions do you wish to see?

While Easter Sunday itself might find some places closed, it's not as if things will be shut down on Saturday or Monday.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panicking!

It really shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. As a matter of fact, because Massachusetts celebrates Patriots Day (a week later than Easter in 2009), Good Friday is not generally taken as a holiday here, as it is in other parts of the country.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panicking!

Nothing much will be different, other than the Stock Market being closed on Good Friday and perhaps some shops and places being closed for that Sunday when they might have been open otherwise.

Traffic in certain shopping areas might be a little heavier - people getting their last minute Easter dinner items at bakeries, etc.

I would check the websites for museums as the trip nears to see whether they will be open on Easter Sunday. You might wish to browse through the posts here as to people's favorite restaurants and get a list together. Check them to see if they'll be having special menus.

April weather can be all over the map; an umbrella and a raincoat wouldn't be out of order, as well as a warm sweater and lighter springy things - you never know!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panicking!

Easter is not such a big deal public holiday here as it is in the UK. We don't even get any days off for it. Not even all schools are closed on Good Friday.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panicking!

If you want a big meal mid-day on Easter Sunday be aware that some restaruants will have limited menus, geared towards families out for 'Easter Dinner'. If you are a church-goer, you'll have your choice of many churches "decked out" in their finest for Easter.

Other than that ... don't worry. Friday, Saturday and Monday will be business as usual!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Panicking!

I'm sorry but I must disagree. While it's true that we don't celebrate Easter Monday or Good Friday, most everything, including stores and supermarkets, are closed on Easter Sunday. Restaurants that are open generally have "special" limited menues, too.

AlanM

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panicking!

Even though stores and supermarkets are closed and restaurants are limited as Alanm has mentioned (or may be open/closed depending on the restaurant) there are still things to do. You can always walk the Freedom Trail and see the outsides of buildings and sites. Visit the cemeteries, look at the architecture on your own. Also walk the Public Garden, historic areas like Back Bay and Beacon Hill looking at architecture, etc. Just buy a walking guide and I am sure you'll find things to do outside that never close. Plus to change an airline ticket would be expensive.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panicking!

And I think I rememember the Museum of Science is open Easter Sunday. Don't quote me on this though! You can use the Calendar on their web site to see what is open/closed. You have to do this a few months before you arrive as the calendar isn't published yet. Also suggest that movie theaters always open (even Christmas) and maybe some shows like Shear Madness and Blue Man Group may have performances. Once you get a little closer to the dates you can check online.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panicking!

For additional ideas this post last year on things Open on Easter:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k173103…

Some good ideas including visiting Chinatown.

10. Re: Panicking!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 18:17